27" Wheels on MTB Frame - Best Braking Solution?

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by fido, 18 Jul 2012.

1. fido

fido Über Member

I would like to buy a new bike but can't really justify the expense so instead I'm 'reconfiguring' some of my existing bikes and will try a bit of self-hypnosis to convince myself that these are, in fact, spanking new bikes.
    To this end I've now got a mtb frame with 27" wheels and have encountered a brakes problem that would have been obvious to everyone else I'm sure. My existing cantis won't adjust far enough to reach the rims - what is my best solution? Assuming there is one of course.

Do Super-adjustable cantis exist to combat this? Can I fit road bike calipers instead and expect them to work with my current LX STI levers?

2. you would be better with a pair of 700c wheels, not 27". More chance of the cantis working with them and wider choice of tyres. 650c wheels would be even better from a reach point of view. Unlikely that you will be able to use calipers on an MTB frame. I doubt if it's worth spending the money on it, tbh..

3. tyred

tyred Legendary Member

Sturmey Archer hub brakes? Fixed gear? Coaster btake?

I would have thought it should be possible to drill the fork crown to fit a sidepull caliper.

If you really want larger wheels on your MTB, I would try 26 x 1 3/8 which are now available in alloy and in my experience, this size rolls far better than the 559 MTB tyres. I think 26 x 1 3/8 is the most under-rated of all tyre sizes and (despite what people say) there are a lot of decent tyres out there in that size, although they will fall into the commuter/touring department rather than lightweight racing tyres.

4. OP
    OP
    fido

fido Über Member

The only reason for them being 27" is the fact that I found them gathering dust at the back of the garage.

I think the forks already have the hole for side-pull calipers, as does the bridge on the seat stays so I might give it a whirl and see if it works.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice