1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

28mm on boardman

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by thunderlips76, 20 Mar 2017 at 17:02.

1. thunderlips76

thunderlips76 climbs for cake

hi

Will 28mm continentals fit a boardman team carbon. Thinking of swapping my 25mms out because I'm old and need the comfort.

cubey likes this.
  2. Yellow Saddle

Yellow Saddle Veteran

Do you have 1.5mm of space available right around your current tyres?

Drago likes this.
  3. cubey

cubey Well-Known Member

Wouldn't dropping the tyre pressure increase your comfort?

4. Ajax Bay

Ajax Bay Über Member

Not if they resulted in pinch flats. Are the 25s really 25mm wide? Measure them? The Continental GP 4 seasons 28 I measured up at different pressures was only 26.1mm @ 120psi (on 15mm internal width (hook to hook) rims. Peripheral to YS advice above.

5. Tiger10

Tiger10 Active Member

Don't they increase the depth by quite a bit more than that ?

6. Yellow Saddle

Yellow Saddle Veteran

No, not if the manufacturer is true to its claims. Tyre widths are much better nowadays than years back. The rim width has an affect on the inflated tyre width but since it will be mounted on the same rim, just look at the spacing available and make a call.
    You may have a slight problem if you go from snakeskin thin racing tyres to monster puncture proof (read thick tread) tyres because the width doesn't take the extra tread in account. Width is measured side-to-side.

Eyeball it.

7. fatjel

fatjel Senior Member

I had 28 hard shell gatorskins on mine.. Its a very tight fit tho.
    Can you get 25s on pumped up ?
    Have to let the air out of mine to clear the bb lump

Yellow Saddle likes this.
  8. thunderlips76

thunderlips76 climbs for cake

Yeah I did, and yeah I don't want pitch flats, I've got 25mm gators on at the min

9. Racing roadkill

Racing roadkill Veteran

25's fit no problem, 28's will fit, but the clearance is very tight, the wheels have to be kept truer than a dogs devotion.