29,000 lorries??? WE need to get involved. Please Read.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
muck away was significantly reduced compared to other projects of similar size ( Ok you have to do some adding up of projects as the olympic park is so big) the on site soil hospitals ( quaint name isn't it) meant a huge reduction in what would have been taken away to be cleaned. demolition waste was cleaned on site and reused as much as possible, the north Plaza which joins onto the A12 at Hackney wick/Leainterchange was the preffered route onto the park , the athletes village entrance was on temple mills lane which was closed to pedestrians and cyclists ( although some foolhardy ones did still use the route :whistle:) and had wash stations at the exits.
the use of the canals and waterways on/around the park to full potential would have been an further improvement I suppose.
wheel washes were used on the park venues and were mandatory, CLM actively stopped work on venues if wheelwashes and any residues were allowed onto the main park highways as the Environment agency were actively monitoring, there was/is a fleet of sweepers keeping the roadways clear on the park to reduce external contamination of roadways. all noted in the weekly inspections i have had to do as part of the environmental monitoring to ensure compliane with COPA1974 ( a good year for acts of parliament).
I'll dig out the e-mail we got from CML if it's still available from Yahoo. Checks on drivers? No. Mirrors? No.

subaqua

What’s the point
I'll dig out the e-mail we got from CML if it's still available from Yahoo. Checks on drivers? No. Mirrors? No.

I never said it was perfect, but its a long way from the picture you paint in your post. yes there are always improvements but it is always about that fine balancing act.

I have issues with a lot of the things promised about the games regarding traffic management on local routes ( for non construction vehicles) and diversions of cycle lanes , but in general its a very good project

AlexB

Veteran
The irony is, that this construction site is close to the river, so it would make the most sense to offload onto barges on the river. However, somehow, it's still cheaper to use thousands of larries rather than considerably less barges!!!

OP
OP
BluesDave

BluesDave

Formerly known as DavidDecorator
The irony is, that this construction site is close to the river, so it would make the most sense to offload onto barges on the river. However, somehow, it's still cheaper to use thousands of larries rather than considerably less barges!!!
Actually in the long run it isn't cheaper to use lorries. If the rivers authority has the simple common sense to waive the mooring fees then they can be pulled by tugs to a place and offloaded. Trowlock Island was built with the spoil from Teddington Lock no reason why they can't do that again and provide another Island for people to live on.

subaqua

What’s the point
Actually in the long run it isn't cheaper to use lorries. If the rivers authority has the simple common sense to waive the mooring fees then they can be pulled by tugs to a place and offloaded. Trowlock Island was built with the spoil from Teddington Lock no reason why they can't do that again and provide another Island for people to live on.

contamination and control of pollution is one possible reason. used as a capping on a landfill before the final topping uses it more effectively ( apparently) .

the river authorities are a pain in the ring

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I never said it was perfect, but its a long way from the picture you paint in your post. yes there are always improvements but it is always about that fine balancing act.

I have issues with a lot of the things promised about the games regarding traffic management on local routes ( for non construction vehicles) and diversions of cycle lanes , but in general its a very good project
1. muckaway didn't go by barge, which is a shame
2. The LCC were not invited to risk-assess routes
3. the specific request for training was denied
4. the specific request for mirrors was denied
5. the specific request for drivers with criminal records to be excluded was denied

now, you know better than I whether this is a very good project, and if you tell me it is, I believe you....but, that's how it went five years ago

for what it's worth I can't imagine why Thames Water would be venting the sewer if it wasn't absolutely neccessary

screenman

Legendary Member
Thanks for reminding me of Trowlock Island, I used to paddle my canoe past there many years ago. Always fancied living on one of them islands one day. in the mean time if anyone in Lincoln has a piece of land with a lake or river on it I would be interested.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
If you are cycling through the area, you know about the extra traffic so be extra careful.
There may be delays so allow extra time for your ride or find alternative routes.
It's not rocket surgery is it?

Top Bottom