29r tyres help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bluebiker909

hi I’m new to cycling I bought a cannondsle trail 5 last summer and
Have original tyres on
In all honesty they seem a little bulky
And hard to push on uphill sections
I’m aware I’m new to this and not quite in shape but are there any tyres that might help me on hills
I only cycle on known routes and trails and not really in mud
I have no idea about tyre sizing especially rims and widths

Any help would be appreciated

OP
OP
B

bluebiker909

Existing tyres wtb ranger

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Tyre sizes are a mess. Look for the ISO size, which is usually two numbers with a - between. A two digit width and a three digit diameter. When buying new tyres, the diameter must match exactly, else it won't fit on the wheel. The width can vary a bit depending on whether you want narrower/lighter/faster or wider/comfier, but not too much unless you get a different wheel width - there are tables online somewhere of wheel rim and tyre width compatibility if you want to push it.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
The obvious thing is to read the 3-digit ISO size off the sidewall of the existing tyres. That number will be right otherwise the tyre wouldn't be capable of being mounted on the rim. Once you've discovered the diameter, then you have to decide on width, bearing in mind the limitations of frame, mudguard, and brake mechanism clearances.

Reactions: mjr

Levo-Lon

Guru
Your bike comes with WTB 29x 2.25 rangers

If you want a fast easy rolling tyre, you could try schwalbe Racing Ralph, Rapid Rob or a Smart Sam in 29x2.0 or 2.1.
Or a continental race king in 2.0 or a maxxis Ikon in2. 0

Idealy folding bead, these will cost a bit more but will have a better feel and more grip.

Bear in mind lighter faster tyres can be more prone to thorns etc but if you pay extra for a protection tyre you will be fine.

Cheap options are ok for easy trail riding but if your going to push it, well you get what you pay for, and tyres are a good place to spend.

Enjoy

Last edited:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
If you're looking for some tyres that have enough grip for light off road / trail, the Schwalbes listed above are a good place to start - I'd also add Schwalbe Land Cruisers to that list, which are what I use and have the benefit of being cheap as chips

Top Bottom