2nd cycling holiday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Amac

Hi guys,
I asked a similar question earlier year for our first cycling holiday and got some good advice.
We had a centre-based self-catering at just below Kings Lyn.

I cycle more than my wife, and see is not keen on hills, but even she admitted she could put up with some hills to get some varied scenery :smile:

One of the places suggested earlier was York.
So I stared having a look at my maps, I was looking for town/village that had a few cycles paths coming through.

So just wondered if anyone had experience/views about the following places :

York its self- but I guess there would be a ride out of the city each day.
Pockington
Malton
Beverley
Sledmere
Burnton Agnes

We do about 30-35 miles a day - my wife enjoys stopping to look at churches, villages and such, rather than just whizzing about all day.
I think we would do a self-catering place again, then if the weather is rubbish, we can do something else.

Well this year's holiday was a success with the "boss" :smile:
So I thought I would pop back for any more advice please.

Cheers Alex

OP
OP
A

Amac

Hi ya, just thought I would give this a little bump :smile:
Just in case cheers.

IaninSheffield

Veteran
To waft away a little of the tumbleweed blowing across your post, though I can't claim intimate knowledge of the area, I have cycled through a couple of times on C2Cs, and had a couple of short centre-based tours in the vicinity.
With that last point in mind, you might also want to add Boroughbridge, Knaresborough and Ripon onto your list of possibles. All offer a range of accommodation options with access to potential routes catering for different cycling styles. They also have a few things you could do if a non-cycling day is needed. From your list I'd probably opt for Beverley, Malton or Pocklington - York is wonderful but maybe too big and the others too small ... but of course personal preference comes into play here.

All six potentials allow easy access to either generally flat areas or more rolling (but not excessively demanding) terrain. The Yorkshire Wolds in particular might appeal. The whole area more broadly is replete with little villages and churches, so plenty of reasons to take a leisurely pace.
One other factor you might include in informing your decision is whether the town has a railway station. It's relatively easy for two people to hop on a train (at non-peak times), travel outwards, then cycle back. This increases the range of route options you might consider.

If you enjoyed your 1st trip of this kind in Kings Lynn, I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy your second in Yorkshire ... but then I am biased! ;)

OP
OP
A

Amac

Ha ha thanks for blowing away the tumble weed.
Thanks for the extra places too, I am just starting to look at accommodation now, which might help narrow it down.
That was a good thought about the railway station, as you said will give a few more options.
I am just trying to suss out where the Yorkshire Wolds kinda start.
But from I have read the whole are looks pretty good.
Thanks again for your recommendations, it help give a bit of confidence, cheers.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Have a look at the Lost Lanes books for the North. They have fabulous routes!

Or go onto the website cycle.travel, type in York id that’s where you’re staying and then ‘circular route’. You can adjust it for distance. I’ve never yet had a bad route suggested on this site!

OP
OP
A

Amac

hi thanks for getting back to me, yes we use cycle.travel as well, we have had some great rides around the New Forest, I used it this year for our holiday in Norfolk this year, I will have a look for the Lost lanes book to, thanks again.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Thanks for the heads up I didn’t know that about the trains, cheers

You can book bikes onto TP trains in advance but that is not much use if you get tired/the weather turns nasty/you have a problem with your bike/whatever and so you decide that you would like to get on the first train that comes along.

Northern don't have bike reservations - just turn up and get on. I got on one of their trains at Leeds a few weeks ago and we squeezed about 8 or 9 bikes onboard, no problem. The only time that I have had a problem on Northern was a 5 pm commuter train out of Leeds which was so crammed that there wasn't physically space to get the bike on. I waited less than half an hour and caught the next train instead.

HelenD123

Guru
Sorry, late to the party. I've lived in both York and Beverley. I think Beverley will give you more variety. If you want a flat day you can head south/south east. In other directions it's undulating but not overly challenging. There are lots of quiet, pretty roads immediately outside town. One of my favourites is route 66 from Beverley to Market Weighton. Don't be tempted by the Hudson Way unless on a mountain bike as it's muddy.

York has the benefit of off-road paths which there aren't in Beverley. However, you'll spend a lot of your ride getting out of the city.

Sledmere and Burton Agnes are tiny places so very limited options for a bad weather day.

Malton is the self proclaimed foodie capital of North Yorks, if that floats your boat.

That rather surprised me - it didn't seem very big!?! But a pleasant town centre.
Also a brilliant pan-flat cycle-route to Pickering. Or go west directly into all sorts of hills to taste. Haven't been east to the coast, but it looks flat-n-quiet.

Pocklington is the nicest town on your list - except I've never been to Beverley :P

Gillstay

Über Member
Beverly is very nice, but we did find a cafe where out of the 4 staff and the half hour we were in there not one smile was seen.

We were impressed. I could not do that, insufficient dedication.

Top Bottom