2nd hand hybrid/ cyclocross for £300?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mybodyhurts

Hola!
2 years ago i bought a carrera TDF ltd 2nd hand for £130. rode it once, hated it. a nightmare to get up hills (and the fact that im 14 stone doesn't help, did 10km in what seemed like purgatory and its been tripping the mrs up in the room where she cooks ever since. its now for sale.
i also hated the following-
gear shifters (arkward), they might get decent reviews but i preferred the gears on my "lizard" mountain bike in 1993(surely you remember those?)
the fact that i felt like superman i was that far forward it was worse than my ninja zx6r for comfort.
i hated the pedals with the way my feet felt trapped...nearly fell off at the traffic lights when i forgot to take my feet out >_<
i hate the super skinny tyres...hit a pothole and my fillings came loose
the positives- fast downhill and on the flat
and erm......thats about it

my new bike needs to be good at uphills as this is one of the reasons i have shyed away from cycling certain routes or even at all. i just hate the pain. so lighter the better with a nice gearing setup to make hills easier
needs to be good in traffic as i will commute in summer.
no need for suspension and lighter the bike the better
i will be mainly using it for roads, canal paths, and maybe a quick blast through the woods but nothing extreme
i don't want to be leaning forward like superman.

the other thing- i am a tightwad so never buy new unless there was a cycling to work scheme/discount.

so my cycling fonts of knowledge. if you wanted a bike that did the above and you have £350 max in your back pocket what would be the bike that would provide the best spec for the wedge?

oh and the carrera TDF is for sale if anyone is interested.

many thanks

kev

vickster

Legendary Member
Something like a Specialized Sirrus with a triple, look for an elite/sport with carbon fork (but check the person selling it is actually the owner ;) ).

Something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Specializ...1316977197?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item258f3dba2d

Being 14 stone really shouldn't stop you getting up hills, plenty of us manage! Just need to get fitter. A bike that is light and fast on roads, won't really allow you to blast through woods safely

There's a classified section to advertise the Carrera

Top Bottom