2nd hand Trek

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BearPear

Veteran
I realise that this could be moved to the "stolen bike" section, but I thought I would try it here because it could be totally innocent.

I saw a bike today outside one of those cash converter places and it looked a bit out of place alongside the others. It was a Trek Madone, probably 3-4 years old, but it had non-standard extras, I noticed Ritchey on the bars (don't know the technical term for the bit between the tube and the drops). It came with spd pedals, again not standard as the bike comes without pedals. Mr BP has a 2nd hand Madone and he paid £900 for it.

Anyway, they wanted £499 for it. Does this seem reasonable? If you had a nice bike like that, would cash converters be the place you chose to sell it on? I have done a little internet search for stolen Madones in my area but not found anything, I guess if you lose a bike you pretty much write it off. Of course it could be completely innocent and the former owner has decided to sell it this way.

Am I being overly suspicious?

montage

God Almighty
99% sure it is stolen

Noodley

BearPear said:
It was a Trek Madone, probably 3-4 years old, but it had non-standard extras, I noticed Ritchey on the bars (don't know the technical term for the bit between the tube and the drops). It came with spd pedals, again not standard as the bike comes without pedals.

Although montage of the yard has this down as 'hot', I'm fairly sure Ritchey bars are fairly 'standard' and that anyone wanting to ride the bike would have fitted pedals in order to do so....:evil:

OP
OP
BearPear

BearPear

Veteran
Sambu said:
Definitely Stolen!

Keighley's not that bad!!!

BearPear said:
Keighley's not that bad!!!

+1. Good cycling country.

I'm pretty certain the newer madones drop down to a much lower model in the range but if it has discovery on it then you're looking higher up the range. I was up there a week and a half ago and could have got a cheap upgrade (if it's my size) and most likely an expensive divorce onthe back of "another" bike. Might not be stolen and could have been a case of cash converter's seemingly incosistent pricing policy.

Cash Converters and the like may parasitise the financially excluded low earners in our unequal society, but they tend to be quite tough on checking whether goods are stolen or not - they don't want to give the coppers excuses for raids or to put pressure on them. It's probably not stolen.

Top Bottom