3/32" or 1/8"? How can I tell?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Is there a foolproof way I can tell if the drivetrain on my Fuji Feather is 3/32" or 1/8"?

I need to get a new sprocket for it and I'm not sure which to get, (other than threaded).

All I can find on the Fuji specs is the chain is a KMC Z-410, and a quick Google suggests this is 1/8" but I really don't know.

I have emailed Fuji, but I don't know how long they will take to come back to me, so in the meantime any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I think you are right on the 1/8 as that is what the chain number would suggest, please tell me yours is not pink :wacko:

GrasB

Veteran
Gah! wrong sort of chain :banghead:

... bike chain, that's done by measuring the inside of the inner link. Confirmed.
1/8" = 1/8"
3/32" = 3/32
9sp = 5/64

OP
OP
smokeysmoo

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
Calling any track vets. Will I get away with my axles being like this on the velodrome or will I have to cut them back to the nuts?
scaled.php

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
That track nut seems not very deep. Maybe the perspective? A deeper track nut would cover more of the axle and they probably would be ok with it.

OP
OP
smokeysmoo

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
That track nut seems not very deep. Maybe the perspective? A deeper track nut would cover more of the axle and they probably would be ok with it.
Cheers for that. Last time I tried to buy track nuts I was stumped by the different threads, (assumed they'd all be the same!).

I'll have to whip one off and take it in somewhere to see if they match it up.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
So it is a bit less deep than usual? I wasn't sure. Just in the image looks like the hex bit should be about as long as the total length of yours. Then again, I don't think mine have that rounded part on the outer surface so total width maybe the same.

Track nut's are annoying......... some have a larger diameter than others on the round serated bit, so on my Cinelli, they would press against the lawyers lips on the forks, I had to find some that would sit right in the dropout. I almost had to resort to asking someone to try to machine some of the rounded bit off to get them to fit, or to file the lawyers lips off myself.

OP
OP
smokeysmoo

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
So it is a bit less deep than usual?
I don't know TBH as I don't know what the Norm is. I know who the Norm is though if that helps :tongue:

I'm just aware on the bike spec sheet for Manchester it states, "Wheel spindles should not extend beyond the track nuts, front and rear, and should be sawn off flush with the nut".

Kind of answers my own earlier Q really doesn't it? :whistle:

Just a bit annoying though as Fuji market the bike as track ready, although I guess different tracks = different rules to some extent, and an exposed spindle is going to potential cause a lot more damage on a wooden track than a concrete one presumably.

I'll whip the front wheel off and take in my LBS and see if can sort me out. I wonder if you can get dome ended ones, sure you can as that would be even better.

Old Plodder

Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb
I imagine the rule is to help prevent injury &/or damage to the track.
Probably be OK with a second nut to cover up the protruding axle, but you would need to check.

Top Bottom