3.5km Commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mallory

Finally had it confirmed that my workplace is relocating in June and therefore i will be riding to work
The downside is that it is only 3.5km :rolleyes:

With the ever changeable british weather i'm in 2 minds as to which clothes to wear. My cycle facilities at work will be ZERO, so a quick change into work clothes in the gents is my only option.

For such a small commute would you lycra up, wear cycle commuting trousers/shorts or just wear work clothes with a pair of waterproof trousers on standby??

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
There is an upside to the downside.
My normal commute is to short so I add extra miles to it every day. I also don't have any facilities, but babywipes are a cyclists friend.

But at that really short distance I would just wear normal clothing with over trousers.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
I do a similar distance between Euston and Lincoln's Inn every day. I ride in work clothes with a good raincoat but no waterproof trousers.

Rain that's more than a bit of drizzle during my 15min each way commute is probably no more than 5-10 days a year. Rohan slacks dry pretty quickly, even if a I arrive at Euston drenched they're dry after an hour on the train.

Keep a change of clothes at work for the odd occasion I arrive wet.

Wet shoes/socks are the biggest problem.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
at that distance you'll be better off riding in your suit. I regularly ride further than that to and from meetings on the good old Boris bikes without any bother, no sweat, no helmet hair. When I arrive no-one would have a clue that I rode there.

take it slow (riding really slow is a pleasure in its own) don't compete, just poodle along and it'll be just as enjoyable without the need for showers or lycra.

Good luck

Cycle slow (don't sweat), wear work clothes. No need for any cycle gear.

D

Deleted member 1258

My commute is six and a half miles each way, thirteen mile round trip, I wear work clothes with a cycle jacket on top, with the distance your going to do its not worth the time putting the cycle gear on.

OP
OP
M

Mallory

Thanks all.

I'm going to compromise and just slip a pair of loose cycling shorts on. Will only take a second and may encourage me to divert on the way home.

Kies

at that distance you'll be better off riding in your suit. I regularly ride further than that to and from meetings on the good old Boris bikes without any bother, no sweat, no helmet hair. When I arrive no-one would have a clue that I rode there.

take it slow (riding really slow is a pleasure in its own) don't compete, just poodle along and it'll be just as enjoyable without the need for showers or lycra.

Good luck

If i cycle 20 miles at a pootle ... I can arrive almost sweat free. 3.5km equals a couple of miles .... I wouldn't even bother with cycle specific trousers.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I commute three miles and have tried all kinds of clothing combinations. I've settled with non-padded cycling leggings and a cycle top. I leave smart shoes and trousers at work and take in a clean work-branded polo shirt each day. I find that with such a short ride even when the weather is terrible I don't have to suffer it for long!

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
take it slow (riding really slow is a pleasure in its own) don't compete,

I'm sorry, I don't understand ;-)
fighting0040.gif

Top Bottom