3 bikes but only one can take my money! Need advice...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

emuncy

Hello everyone,
I'm in the market for a new bike. I've had my trek 2000 for 15 years and it's always been too large for me. Last couple of years I've been gotten a lot more into biking. I'm looking at 3 different options currently, going back and forth and and having a hard time on which one would be best.

I'm 5'7, 38yo, 150lbs . I like speed and the racing aspect of riding more than just cruising but want something that's comfortable as well. My current Trek is causing me upper back/shoulder pain and tightness when I ride but I think it's because is is a 58cm frame.

Below are the bikes that I'm looking at. My initial budget was around 1200 but when I went to the local bike shop (Kozys), they talked me up to the Cannondale Synapse 105 disc for around 1800.00 But I also found used, a Scott Addict with Tiagra for 1400.00 and a much older Cervelo Soloist with 105 for 1200.00. LINKS to bikes are below.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

https://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/bik/d/melrose-park-scott-addict-disc-carbon/7272752100.html

https://www.kozy.com/product/cannondale-synapse-105-pre-order-383537-1.htm

https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/bik/d/palatine-cervelo-carbon-soloist/7264899229.html

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Any that appeals. I think the Cervelo might be a bit too small for you at 49cm.

Position on bikes with more aggressive geometry won't be that comfy.

OP
OP
E

emuncy

Any that appeals. I think the Cervelo might be a bit too small for you at 49cm.

Position on bikes with more aggressive geometry won't be that comfy.
Thanks for the reply! Sorry that was the wrong link for the cervelo. I can't find the correct link but it's a 52cm frame 2013 cervelo

Colin Grigson

Bass guitarist - Bad News
At 5’7’’ I’m surprised you can ride a 58cm framed bike at all - how does that work ?.
I’m no expert but 49cm appears too small ... I would look for 50/51/52cm frames if I was in your shoes ... which are more than likely size 12 for your size 8 feet ^_^

davidphilips

Veteran
If the stand over height of your trek is ok maybe all you need is a shorter stem, might be worth a bit of time looking up bike fitting and trying a few minor adjustments before buying another bike, (says me with 12 bikes)

You've had the 58cm bike for 15 years and you've not grown into it yet ?

That must be masses too big for you surely ?

Almost any bike that fits you would be a huge improvement.

I'd go for a new bike as long as you let them determine what size you want. Brand new 105 will be better than any 15 Year old groupset too.

And why go for the polar opposite of a 49cm frame ?

Gunk

Guru
At 5’7’’ I’m surprised you can ride a 58cm framed bike at all - how does that work ?.
I’m no expert but 49cm appears too small ... I would look for 50/51/52cm frames if I was in your shoes ... which are more than likely size 12 for your size 8 feet ^_^

I’m 5’8” and one of my road bikes is 49cms. It’s fine, I like a tall seat post and compact riding position. Largest frame I have is a touring bike which is a 52cms frame.

OP
OP
E

emuncy

Thanks everyone! yeah I'm not exactly positive that the track is a 58 it might be a 56 I tried looking and there's no reference to it on the frame. All I know is that when I stand over it it's not very comfortable and it pushes up into the family jewels.

Yeah I was leaning into the newer Cannondale or the Scott's addict. But not too familiar with bikes and the differences in between the two. I know the cervelo is more of a race bike and the Scott and Cannondale are endurance bikes and wasn't sure if The 10-year-old cervelo since it's carbon would be a better use of the money versus going with one of the newer Scotts or Cannondale that is aluminum.

But definitely agree that anything will be a vast improvement just due to being correct size!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I’m 5’8” and one of my road bikes is 49cms. It’s fine, I like a tall seat post and compact riding position. Largest frame I have is a touring bike which is a 52cms frame.
bike sizing is so varied by manufacturer and how they measure its a minefield , if they are measuring the seat tube on a compact frame then it might be fine.
I always look at top tube , 2 of my bikes are nominally listed as a 51 size which is the seat tube measurement but both have 54 top tubes , my other bike is listed as a 48 but has a 54.5 TT

Im 5 foot 7 :smile:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
odd shortlist, the cervelo is ages old (10 years maybe) as it as ultegra flightdeck shifters. that and scott are quite aggressive geom bikes, the synapse has a more relaxed geometry and will be much comfier.

I'd also be wary about travel to Palestine to pick up the Cervelo.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
odd shortlist, the cervelo is ages old (10 years maybe) as it as ultegra flightdeck shifters. that and scott are quite aggressive geom bikes, the synapse has a more relaxed geometry and will be much comfier.

made me look !
Palantine chicago

OP
OP
E

emuncy

Lol! All the good bikes come out of palestine...everyone knows that

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer

If the OP hasn't got short legs it would be doable with the saddle set low, but the standover would demand a cautious riding style. :eek: As a kid, we often swapped bikes for a ride, and sometimes that meant being on a frame you had to straddle on tiptoes and would have to lean right over to be able to get on or off - but we still did it all the same!

Top Bottom