3 Bikes in the Frame - your thoughts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am considering a new bike over the next 12 months - I do mainly clubs runs of about 60 miles and the odd sportive. I sold a pinarello and found myself much more comfy on my Kuota Kharma - I do worry about the race position of some bikes (ie as in suitability for me)
Appearance and look are very important to me when buying a bike

De Rosa Idol (£2200)
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/de-rosa-idol-road-bike-caliper-ultegra-2017/
Ive long admired de rosa bikes - the high price and low position, and patchy reviews are all points against though (I can get the 2018 version for £2200 on the works bike scheme)

Sensa Guila Evo Magic (£2079)
https://www.merlincycles.com/sensa-giulia-evo-magic-red-custom-carbon-road-bike-2018-106349.html
Looks stunning - although the deep sections wheels aren't in the price. Its also an aero / race bike where as i prefer a slightly more upright position.

Sensa Guila G2 Custom (£1829)
https://www.merlincycles.com/sensa-giulia-g2-custom-carbon-road-bike-2018-graphite-red-106281.html

Cheapest of the 3 - and with perhaps the most suitable geometry - I could also spec a 105 groupset and perhaps save another £100-£150 - Do wonder if its much of an upgrade over my 2009 kuota kharma

Any thoughts ?

Sharky

Guru
I thought the cycle to work scheme was capped at £1,000?

Can't really comment on any of them, but if you are worried about geometry/position, check if the fork post has been pre-cut or left long, so you can make the decision yourself.

Also I couldn't spot any info on crank lengths. Maybe something you choose when ordering? Not too important, but if you want to replicate exactly your current bike, it's something to ask about.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
I thought the cycle to work scheme was capped at £1,000?

Can't really comment on any of them, but if you are worried about geometry/position, check if the fork post has been pre-cut or left long, so you can make the decision yourself.

Also I couldn't spot any info on crank lengths. Maybe something you choose when ordering? Not too important, but if you want to replicate exactly your current bike, it's something to ask about.

Its not cycle to work. Its a salary sacrifice scheme which you can use to buy a bike.

Yes thats a good point about the fork steerer - I have more confidence in Merlin being able to leave the fork post uncut than the in house scheme from my questions to both so far.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Go 528 and size up your usual stem. Or don't and get a slightly more compact racier feel.

Yeah - thats what Im thinking. The only problem with 528 is that the headtube is quite a bit shorter - putting me lower. So I might go 542 (which is recommended for my height of 5..8)

bpsmith

Veteran
Yeah - thats what Im thinking. The only problem with 528 is that the headtube is quite a bit shorter - putting me lower. So I might go 542 (which is recommended for my height of 5..8)
I bought my Ridley in XS, with S being the size for me at 175cm tall. This gave me a shorter head tube and only needed me to go for a 110mm stem instead of 100mm as fitted. It has a different feel to my Bianchi, but I really love the smaller frame in fairness.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Its not cycle to work. Its a salary sacrifice scheme which you can use to buy a bike.

Yes thats a good point about the fork steerer - I have more confidence in Merlin being able to leave the fork post uncut than the in house scheme from my questions to both so far.

If it isn't following the cycle to work rules you need to be careful. The law changed regarding salary sacrifice schemes and you may be subject to tax and NI still on the sacrificed amount.

Top Bottom