3 bikes stolen from Cambridge station

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Dittonpeddlar

Dittonpeddlar

Now I’m trying to think of a simpler solution. With around 3,000 bikes and only 2 exits (one pedestrian only). Perhaps other tech could be deployed. Like RFID, e.g. www.immobilise.com, that are available for bikes. The legit owner could have to enter a code (via their phone?) to leave the bike park without an alarm going off. Otherwise a guard at the bike exits, who has access to the RFID record, could stop them and ask whose bike it is. If they don’t know, apprehend them. Just like stopping shoplifters in clothes shops, razor blades in supermarkets, etc.
Anyone know of schemes like this existing?

OP
OP
Dittonpeddlar

Dittonpeddlar

If the face is visible, then it can be put through VIPER, to check for a possible match.

Thing is, most of those doing the nicking are aware of this,and where the cameras are.
“About 84 cameras of a “very high specification” and security inspections monitor Britian's first multi-storey bike park throughout the night.” So the PR article in the Cambridge Evening News said. Right now the thieves are pretty brazen. My teenage daughter spotted one guy checking locks down a row of bikes and he shiftily moved on when he noticed her watching him.

Still amazes me that people will use shitty locks (and badly placed good locks) on good bikes and are then surprised it gets nicked.

Or no locks at all... Never ceases to amaze me the number of bikes I see in Cambridge that aren't secured. :wacko: I always use two locks, one through rear wheel and triangle, one through front wheel and frame.

Both the bike park at Cambridge and Cambridge North stations are really quiet outside of peak hours.

Top Bottom