3 bikes stolen from Cambridge station

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dittonpeddlar

My family has had three bikes nicked in the last year from the Cyclepoint multi-storey cycle park at Cambridge station. Are we just unlucky or is this happening a lot?
No one will look at the CCTV footage and of course the police won’t investigate.

Happens a lot,have quite a few people come in to the shop with tales of woe about their bike being stolen; also from Cambridge North station.

Actually keep a bike at the cycle point for when I get the train to work and it's not been touched in two years;it is an old Ridgeback with a broken derailleur hanger(part of the frame not a replceable one) a frame that looks like it's been shot at with a shotgun and old wheels and bit's so it's probably not that surprising.Also have two locks on it.

Still amazes me that people will use shitty locks (and badly placed good locks) on good bikes and are then surprised it gets nicked.

lane

Veteran
Presumably for the same reason other police forces have a long list of crimes they will no longer investigate.

Drago

Legendary Member
I'd like to know the actual answer in this case. Did Dittonpeddlar ring them up to report the theft, and they just out and said "ok, we're not going to investigate that. Thank you for your call"?

Smudge

Veteran
The Police only seem to be interested in CCTV footage for serious crimes, for theft and damage you're on your own.
I had a £1K worth of damage done to my car when parked in a supermarket car park, obviously done by another car hitting my car. The police just gave me a report number, they weren't interested in getting the CCTV footage. Neither would the supermarket give me the footage.
Although when i went to the police station and reported it, they helpfully gave me a producer for my car docs, insurance etc.

Drago

Legendary Member
The Police only seem to be interested in CCTV footage for serious crimes...

When did they say that?

BTW, most supermarket car park CCTV these days is actually for ANPR purposes, not video capture. Of course, if youd spent nearly 3 decades investigating stuff like this you would know that.

And Home Office guidance is not to expend resources investigating non stop damage only collisions. Again, if you'd spent....

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Why won't BTP investigate,?
Won't investigate at local stations because Northern have their own security company, who deal with such issues.

When did they say that?

BTW, most supermarket car park CCTV these days is actually for ANPR purposes, not video capture.

Ah yes easier to catch and fine for profit

And Home Office guidance is not to expend resources investigating non stop damage only collisions.

That makes it fine then, guidlines tell them not to bother,

sheddy

Legendary Member
Commiserations.
If the last bike theft was very recent we could keep a look out for you on Fleabay or Rumtree..

OP
OP
Dittonpeddlar

Dittonpeddlar

I'd like to know the actual answer in this case. Did Dittonpeddlar ring them up to report the theft, and they just out and said "ok, we're not going to investigate that. Thank you for your call"?
Yes, they the local police, won’t look at the CCTV footage and thus have no leads to go on. What disappoints me is that with a known policy like this CCTV is no deterrent.
I wonder if an AI app could be clever enough to spot a particular bike in slot XY being removed. And then the suspect would be Identified without expending hours of police time.

classic33

Leg End Member
Yes, they the local police, won’t look at the CCTV footage and thus have no leads to go on. What disappoints me is that with a known policy like this CCTV is no deterrent.
I wonder if an AI app could be clever enough to spot a particular bike in slot XY being removed. And then the suspect would be Identified without expending hours of police time.
If the face is visible, then it can be put through VIPER, to check for a possible match.

Thing is, most of those doing the nicking are aware of this,and where the cameras are.

OP
OP
Dittonpeddlar

Dittonpeddlar

Commiserations.
If the last bike theft was very recent we could keep a look out for you on Fleabay or Rumtree..
Thanks. It’s a couple of weeks ago now. I replaced my son’s bike last w/e and my wife’s yesterday with Rumtree ones. The vendors seemed honest folk.

Top Bottom