3 Cycling shops refuse to work on disc brakes of electric bike due to motor size???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

David EBiker

They're only telling part of the story. You buy one of those bikes and wish to get a twist throttle on, they will put it through the £50 MVSA test for £199. Before you get your hands on it.

It passes, it gets classified as a moped. You then need the correct license, the moped requires insuring and registering and VED paying.

22kg isn't what I'd call a light bike, and that's before you put the battery on.
Hi Chaps please let me clear this up. The charge is £199.00 for us the get the bikes tested as an light electric moped, L1e. It only costs £55.00 to get the test done. However we book the test, pay the fees, take the bike off to the test centre and wait for the test to be completed (1 hour) and bring the bike back. We then change the settings, upgrade some of the wiring to take the extra stress and add the throttle to the 2year warranty. It’s pretty obvious to anyone that we make a loss on the service. We do it to make cycling in general and eBiking in particular more inclusive.

The bike once Type Approved cannot be used legally outside the UK unless the throttle is decommissioned, instructions given.

The bike is not a normal moped and does not need to be re MoTd. It’s still a bicycle and it’s use is governed by the laws appertaining to a bicycle with the one difference that riders must be aged 14 years or older.

All the best, David

classic33

Leg End Member
Hi Chaps please let me clear this up. The charge is £199.00 for us the get the bikes tested as an light electric moped, L1e. It only costs £55.00 to get the test done. However we book the test, pay the fees, take the bike off to the test centre and wait for the test to be completed (1 hour) and bring the bike back. We then change the settings, upgrade some of the wiring to take the extra stress and add the throttle to the 2year warranty. It’s pretty obvious to anyone that we make a loss on the service. We do it to make cycling in general and eBiking in particular more inclusive.

The bike once Type Approved cannot be used legally outside the UK unless the throttle is decommissioned, instructions given.

The bike is not a normal moped and does not need to be re MoTd. It’s still a bicycle and it’s use is governed by the laws appertaining to a bicycle with the one difference that riders must be aged 14 years or older.

All the best, David
Does that mean the other piece posted, being reclassified as a light moped if type approval is gained, is wrong?

e-assist regulations require the rider to be over 14 anyway. Not specific to this class of moped.

Reactions: C R

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Mod Note:
As the conversation has moved on to some interesting points about Ebike regulations, I will move this thread to the Ebikes forum.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...

All the best, David
To clear this up once and for all, you state it doesn't need to be re MoTd, but does it need to be registered? Does it need number plates? Do you need a licence? Do you need to pay VED? Do you need to wear a motorcycle helmet?

Reactions: C R

figbat

Slippery scientist
All the information I can find on L1e-B ‘speed’ electric bikes claim they are treated as mopeds, meaning 16 years old minimum, plus all the licensing and registration requirements of a motor vehicle. I’ll admit that it isn‘t easy to get definitive information from a government source - I’m gleaning information from various e-bike support groups and legal firms’ websites. L1e-A bikes are pedelecs with the 14 year old minimum and no licensing requirements.

Top Bottom