3 Cycling shops refuse to work on disc brakes of electric bike due to motor size???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
All energy is heat ( until the heat death of the universe)
Keep it light lads...

Scaleyback

Veteran
It's not just tearaways on 'clocked' illegal ebikes is it. There is a little elderly lady in my village (60+ I think) who scoots about at fair old speeds and she is never pedalling when I see her ?

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
#nerd on# at low velocities the "squaring" effect is small so mass is a bigger issue #nerd off#
'Fraid your self-assertion of 'nerd' status is not warranted. The braking effect (power: kgm^2s^-2) is (think you agree) proportional to total mass and proportional to the square of speed. So mass is not the "bigger issue", even taking into account @matticus 's 'heavy blokes+bikes have a higher terminal velocity' argument.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
A jet bike is terribly inefficient unless you're doing many hundreds of miles per hour. Better to make a "pusher" turboprop. It'll stop close passes, too.
Either way, you won't find me wheelsucking.

It's not just tearaways on 'clocked' illegal ebikes is it. There is a little elderly lady in my village (60+ I think) who scoots about at fair old speeds and she is never pedalling when I see her ?

There are legal twist and go ebikes they were sold up to about 2016 I think and you can still use them plus you have ebikes still sold that can be twist and go if they are individually tested at a cost of about £50 or something. There are legal twist and go ebikes on the road. If you converted a bike to ebike that was sold before 2016 and claimed you had to replace a few worn ebike parts if stopped by police how would they judge the legality of that? Personally I don't care if people are peddling or not I think the important part of the law is the 15.5mph assisted speed. If I was a policeman that is all I would focus on because that is the main safety concern and the rest of the ebike laws are complete mess to be honest and make little sense.

https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/wisper-announce-dvsa-approved-full-throttle-models/

classic33

Leg End Member
There are legal twist and go ebikes they were sold up to about 2016 I think and you can still use them plus you have ebikes still sold that can be twist and go if they are individually tested at a cost of about £50 or something. There are legal twist and go ebikes on the road. If you converted a bike to ebike that was sold before 2016 and claimed you had to replace a few worn ebike parts if stopped by police how would they judge the legality of that? Personally I don't care if people are peddling or not I think the important part of the law is the 15.5mph assisted speed. If I was a policeman that is all I would focus on because that is the main safety concern and the rest of the ebike laws are complete mess to be honest and make little sense.

https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/wisper-announce-dvsa-approved-full-throttle-models/
They're only telling part of the story. You buy one of those bikes and wish to get a twist throttle on, they will put it through the £50 MVSA test for £199. Before you get your hands on it.

It passes, it gets classified as a moped. You then need the correct license, the moped requires insuring and registering and VED paying.

22kg isn't what I'd call a light bike, and that's before you put the battery on.

They're only telling part of the story. You buy one of those bikes and wish to get a twist throttle on, they will put it through the £50 MVSA test for £199. Before you get your hands on it.

It passes, it gets classified as a moped. You then need the correct license, the moped requires insuring and registering and VED paying.

22kg isn't what I'd call a light bike, and that's before you put the battery on.
I may have got this wrong but I don't think it is classed as a full moped somehow it has an exception to that and can be ridden as is. I don't fully understand how that is achieved but there doesn't appear to be any necessity to add number plates or insure it. Looking at the rules here it seems like they do comply when individually assessed but even though they say can be assessed at the manufacturing stage that doesn't seem to be happening. Later in the text it states if they don't comply with above they would have to be registered so the earlier text surely means they don't need to be registered. Anyway Wispa are not stating they need tax and insurance etc but they are not stating they don't either. The way I read it is they can be ridden normally legally without tax or insurance but I may have got that wrong.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...cles-eapcs-in-great-britain-information-sheet

There is a thread about it here, looks like it has some sort of exemption so the bike is registered but that is the only difference. You cannot take it to the EU or NI as it will not be legal there.

https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/full-throttle-ebike-legal-again.34419/

classic33

Leg End Member
I may have got this wrong but I don't think it is classed as a full moped somehow it has an exception to that and can be ridden as is. I don't fully understand how that is achieved but there doesn't appear to be any necessity to add number plates or insure it. Looking at the rules here it seems like they do comply when individually assessed but even though they say can be assessed at the manufacturing stage that doesn't seem to be happening. Later in the text it states if they don't comply with above they would have to be registered so the earlier text surely means they don't need to be registered. Anyway Wispa are not stating they need tax and insurance etc but they are not stating they don't either. The way I read it is they can be ridden normally legally without tax or insurance but I may have got that wrong.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...cles-eapcs-in-great-britain-information-sheet

There is a thread about it here, looks like it has some sort of exemption so the bike is registered but that is the only difference. You cannot take it to the EU or NI as it will not be legal there.

https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/full-throttle-ebike-legal-again.34419/
As @David EBiker has posted elsewhere.
And, "if you get a type approval, it essentially registers the vehicle as a motorbike subjecting it to tax, registration and insurance requirements but if you do a single vehicle approval, it allows you to continue as if it were a regular pedelec but makes using a full twist and go throttle (without pedalling) legal?"

Top Bottom