3 Cycling shops refuse to work on disc brakes of electric bike due to motor size???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A bloke I see quite regular on the same cycling route explained the issue today.

He has an electric bike that needs the disc pads changing or adjusting, as the brakes are not too good. He has contacted 3 cycle shops and been told that they are not allowed to work on his bike because it has a 350 watt motor. They explained that the cycle is classed as a moped, and they cannot legally work on it.

This seems odd to me. Surely, if a person is competent in this sort of thing, that is all that matters. What do others think?

presta

Guru
Perhaps it's their insurance that decide what they can and can't work on.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Nice to see bike shops behaving in this way.

If it's an illegal bike, it's probably a dodgy import with crap brakes anyway. I'd refuse to work on it.

PS OP, what bike is it ? Make and model.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
In the scheme of things, 350W isn't as bonkers as some of the things the hooligans are riding around here, but it's still illegal so I'm glad they told him to take a hike.

These overpowered e-bikes are lethal to others on cyclepaths (and footpaths, and green spaces, and everywhere else they're ridden).

Last edited:
Top Bottom