3 Cycling shops refuse to work on disc brakes of electric bike due to motor size???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
How does your combined weight compare to an e-bike + rider though? Where brakes are concerned it is more about momentum than power.

This is a dodgy e-bike though ! Probably some cheapo no-name brakes.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Where brakes are concerned it is more about momentum than power.
...and about good brakes vs bad, not specifically disc vs rim. A good quality well adjusted rim brake will out-brake a cheap cable disc brake.

also lets not forget the extra weight of a an ebike battery and motor is well within the range of typical rider weights. Granted you are more likely to have a fatty on an ebike....:okay:

vickster

Legendary Member
...and about good brakes vs bad, not specifically disc vs rim. A good quality well adjusted rim brake will out-brake a cheap cable disc brake.

also lets not forget the extra weight of a an ebike battery and motor is well within the range of typical rider weights. Granted you are more likely to have a fatty on an ebike....:okay:
Round here it’s mostly young skinny males on illegal e-bikes, quite often doing food delivery.
Not fatties at all

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
What 350w make and model of ebike did you outrun and how steep a hill?

I doubt any could do 40-50mph safely or 60mph, unless it was another road bike.

rivers

How far can I go?

My wife rides an e-bike. She is an ex-professional dancer (and still looks the part) who has moved over to teaching fitness (pilates, zumba, and bar fusion). An e-bike allows her to ride with me (although at her pace) without putting additional strain on her already battered body.

vickster

Legendary Member
It's not food they're delivering around here! 🌴
I wouldn't know ;)
Although it seemed to be National Weed Day round here yesterday as almost everyone I passed or car which passed me while cycling yesterday ponged of dope!

They have all the Deliveroo gubbins round here

We've got a chump at work, with a modified ebike
He brags that it will reach 50MPH

The way he rides it, implies that he'll either end up in a box, or a prison cell:cursing::cursing:

Several of us, have told him in polite, but very firm, terms that if he knocks someone over/runs into a vehicle/etc...... we will offer statements to the Police that we have constantly advised him that it's not road-legal, & that his manner of riding is crazy, and that the Police should have it examined, with regard to power-output/gearing
I'm not even sure if it has functioning brakes, I'm given to understand from someone else that he relies on the motor for any braking
(hub motor)

We cite the example of the track-bike rider in London; https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-41028321
(he was jailed for 18 months)

And, these;
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-56320121
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/dorset/8197430.stm

Although, as usual, it always enters one ear, & immediately escapes via the other with him:wacko:

Top Bottom