I bought an electric bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
Thanks for the replies. I have no concern about "cheating". I just like to make fun of it :smile:.

The Vado SL is supposed to be quite lightweight, so I'm assuming it will be quite rideable even without the motor, which will be useful if I run out of battery. I am a competent cyclist (most of the time) so I will probably only need a higher level of assistance on longer journeys and when going up hills with shopping.

I didn't buy the extra battery pack, but I may do at some point. I don't know how easy they are to get hold of though as I haven't seen them listed on many websites. I'm not sure of the exact electrical setup on an e-bike, but I have experience of building battery packs, so I wouldn't be opposed to building my own if I need to.

My only concern is that e-bikes seem quite nickable. Definitely something to be concerned about when I often lock the bike up. I think I will invest in some newer high quality locks.

The one thing we do if locking bikes up in public is to remove the battery and put it in a rucksack or similar.
It's a (modest ) pain but I think it visually makes the bike look infinitely less appealing to thieves. Two big cable locks and lock them together around whatever security pole is there. Make it hard for them.

Gwylan

Veteran
Welcome to world of electric enhancement.

Seems a paradox to me that we pore over the weight of a bike in our comparisons. Then slap 2kg+ of padlock on it.

OP
OP
steve30

steve30

Veteran
Yay. Bike arrived today :smile:. I've given it a quick test and it works. I'll go for a proper ride tomorrow and report back.

First observations are that the hydraulic brakes are a lot more powerful than the rim brakes on my road bike, and as for the motor, well, I can really feel it pull me along :smile:. Its also quite light; not much different to my old hybrid bike which had a suspension.

Yay. Bike arrived today :smile:. I've given it a quick test and it works. I'll go for a proper ride tomorrow and report back.

First observations are that the hydraulic brakes are a lot more powerful than the rim brakes on my road bike, and as for the motor, well, I can really feel it pull me along :smile:. Its also quite light; not much different to my old hybrid bike which had a suspension.

Great news - I'm sure you will love it

I tend to find that I ride further and more often than I would with a "analogue" bike

I have only been accused of cheating 3 time - 2 were a pleasant joke while someone was asking me about them
the other was from a bike busily loading his mountain bike onto the back of his diesel SUV - pretty sure my 180W ebike ride from home and back to home - was more effort and generated less fumes and pollution than him driving his SUV from home to the park
given where it was - I would also guess I rode further!

so cheating just isn;t a thing - with a legal ebike anyway (UK rules)

Gwylan

Veteran

Well, what is it? Does it have a nom de route?
Hercules 2 wanted me to ask

OP
OP
steve30

steve30

Veteran
I've just done a 29 mile ride, including some very steep hills. The bike did seem a bit slower than my road bike going down hill, but that was easily made up for when going up the hills; it was like the hills were non-existent! :smile:.

I think it will take a bit of getting used to, such as using different assistance levels with different gears. Also, I use toe clips, so when I set off at traffic lights, I start pedalling, then stop to flip the pedal round, then start pedalling again; this causes the motor to start and stop which feels odd.

The 11 speed SRAM gears seems to work nicely, and the Tektro hydraulic brakes worked very well, despite it being a bit damp.

I made sure to give it a good clean when I got back as Professor Chris Gritty had been out earlier in the day ^_^.

Now to try and install some mudguards and a rack.

wiggydiggy: Looks like a nice setup with the trailer. What sort of distance can you manage with that? I've never used a trailer, but it looks like a good idea so I will bear them in mind for the future.

I've just seen this. I haven't used the trailer on a long trip yet, it mostly does <5mile round trips so easily manages that.

The closest I've got to that is when I was transporting a load of bricks, I did around 18 miles total (9 loaded) for 6 round trips of about 50kg bricks at a time. Battery went to about 25% as I was using it on the highest assist a lot when loaded lol!

Bad Company

Very Old Person
The one thing we do if locking bikes up in public is to remove the battery and put it in a rucksack or similar.
It's a (modest ) pain but I think it visually makes the bike look infinitely less appealing to thieves. Two big cable locks and lock them together around whatever security pole is there. Make it hard for them.

Unfortunately the battery in the Vado is fixed into the frame. That’s the downside so me buying one.

OP
OP
steve30

steve30

Veteran
I forgot to post an update, so here it is.

I've had the Vado SL for a few months and I really like it. I can get a good 20 miles or so in the full power mode (with a variety of uphill, downhill and flat). Much further in the lower power modes, although when switched off completely it is very sluggish (but usable if you are only going slowly anyway, or in an emergency).

It really zooms up hills and my journey back here from Sheffield can take as little as 45 minutes (down from an hour or so), with not much effort.

Only problem at the moment is that I now have way too much travel in the front brake lever, so I'm guessing either the pads are worn out or it needs more oil. I'm not at all familiar with hydraulic disk brakes so that's one to try and suss out soon.

So far, I'm very pleased with it.

Here's a picture of it taken on Christmas Day:

P1040510_new_ebike_w.JPG

Top Bottom