I bought an electric bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I finally made the decision to buy an electric bike. I ended up scrapping my old hybrid bike, and my old road bike is getting worn out and really needs rebuilding, but unfortunately, I am also getting worn out. I often struggle with normal bike rides nowadays owing to worsening health, and it is even harder still when I am carrying equipment/tools/shopping/etc.

So I decided to cheat and get an electric bike :smile:. I've just ordered a Specialized Vado SL 4. I decided to go with the SL as I am still a competent cyclist so will probably not need anything particularly big/powerful, just something to make it a bit easier.

I ordered by mail order. I was a bit reluctant to order from a mail order supplier, but I really hate bike shops, and I have the necessary knowledge to build a bike up myself. The only thing I will not be familiar with is the hydraulic disc brakes, as I am used to normal cable actuated rim brakes.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting it. Should be here in a couple of weeks. My existing road bike is currently in pieces so its looking like I'll have to catch the bus tomorrow.

steve30.

johnnyb47

Guru
Great news , and hope you enjoy your new bike.
One thing you said,and that I disagree on though is that you said you've decided to cheat and buy an E bike.
That's not cheating, That's called continued enjoyment of cycling with the help of an assisted bike .
When I come to a point I can't cycle on a normal bike I wouldn't hesitate buying an Ebike 👍

Emanresu

Great news , and hope you enjoy your new bike.
One thing you said,and that I disagree on though is that you said you've decided to cheat and buy an E bike.
That's not cheating, That's called continued enjoyment of cycling with the help of an assisted bike .
When I come to a point I can't cycle on a normal bike I wouldn't hesitate buying an Ebike 👍

As above. And if you are feeling guilty you can always switch the assist off. I only ever feel guilty at the top of a hill.

Last edited:

gzoom

Über Member
Enjoy the bike. The motor on the Specialized is fab, as is the app. I absolutely love riding Creo, it's a much nicer bike than my Boardman.

I managed about 200watts of human input on the commute into work, but been able to smash up the hill at the equivalent of 500watts+ without sweating like a pig or dying.

No idea why anyone would feel 'guilty' about riding any eBike. Cycling is about having fun, and eBikes makes it more fun ^_^

53337121121_6b6e6fabdc_c_d.jpg

53337352563_c6a7cd7dcf_c_d.jpg

Punkawallah

Über Member
Eminently sensible. You might want to consider a hydraulic brake bleeding kit, and getting some practice in brake bleeding - if only doing dry runs.
Good luck!

OP
OP
steve30

steve30

Veteran
Thanks for the replies. I have no concern about "cheating". I just like to make fun of it :smile:.

The Vado SL is supposed to be quite lightweight, so I'm assuming it will be quite rideable even without the motor, which will be useful if I run out of battery. I am a competent cyclist (most of the time) so I will probably only need a higher level of assistance on longer journeys and when going up hills with shopping.

I didn't buy the extra battery pack, but I may do at some point. I don't know how easy they are to get hold of though as I haven't seen them listed on many websites. I'm not sure of the exact electrical setup on an e-bike, but I have experience of building battery packs, so I wouldn't be opposed to building my own if I need to.

My only concern is that e-bikes seem quite nickable. Definitely something to be concerned about when I often lock the bike up. I think I will invest in some newer high quality locks.

Emanresu

My only concern is that e-bikes seem quite nickable. Definitely something to be concerned about when I often lock the bike up. I think I will invest in some newer high quality locks.

If you have cycle insurance or you expect to have insurance cover, check the terms about the standard of lock required. Reading small print on an insurance policy is a pain, but an ever bigger pain when the bike goes AWOL.

Well done!

I've been using an inherited E-Bike most of this year, it's definately helped my rekindle my cycling passion as no matter how tired (or hungover :whistle: ) I might be of a morning I can't make an excuse for myself not to go out.

It's also really useful as transport, I recently bought a trailer and having used it a couple times it's infinetly better than Panniers for shopping.

Untitled.jpg

Jody

Stubborn git
The only thing I will not be familiar with is the hydraulic disc brakes, as I am used to normal cable actuated rim brakes.

It's a really nice looking bike you've picked there Steve and seems quite a reasonable cost also.

Don't worry about hydraulics. Very little to do as they should be ready to go out the box.

Enjoy the bike. The motor on the Specialized is fab, as is the app. I absolutely love riding Creo, it's a much nicer bike than my Boardman.

I managed about 200watts of human input on the commute into work, but been able to smash up the hill at the equivalent of 500watts+ without sweating like a pig or dying.
Really interesting stats, my missus is considering a ebike and the graph etc explained a lot to her on how it works. ( I dont think she will ever avg 192 watts more like 80, she is tiny)

mustang1

Guru
Excellent choice with the Vado SL. Much lighter thus easier to maneuver when you are off the bike.

And +1 to everyone who said going electric is not cheating; it's just a normal bike with some power when you want it (which is probably all the time haha)

Edit fixed typo
Edit 2 fixed another typo, haha)

Last edited:

gzoom

Über Member

My Creo is too nice a bike to leave out anywhere for any length of time, it only comes to work when I can store it in clear sight. If left out and about, the front wheel comes with me.....For the Boardman I used one of the 'new' Angle Grinder busting D-locks.

https://thebestbikelock.com/security/angle-grinder-proof-bike-lock/

53294685456_ed404417f9_c_d.jpg

OP
OP
steve30

steve30

Veteran
wiggydiggy: Looks like a nice setup with the trailer. What sort of distance can you manage with that? I've never used a trailer, but it looks like a good idea so I will bear them in mind for the future.

gzoom: The Creo looks good. I was quite tempted myself but I really need something a bit more suitable for day to day use with luggage, hence I went for the Vado.

I currently have an Allez which I got in 2010. Its currently in pieces as it needs a new bottom bracket and a replacement spoke in the rear wheel. Hopefully I'll get that fixed at some point this week.

Top Bottom