Electric assist / electric powered.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
In a discussion recently with two cyclists, one asserted that a bike which the electric motor only cuts in whilst the pedals are being used is an 'electric assist' bike. However he also said that if the electric motor can power the bike without pedalling being required, it is therefore an electric moped and should be classed and taxed accordingly.
Correct - ? :whistle:

classic33

Leg End Member
Yes, under current UK regulations.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
In a discussion recently with two cyclists, one asserted that a bike which the electric motor only cuts in whilst the pedals are being used is an 'electric assist' bike. However he also said that if the electric motor can power the bike without pedalling being required, it is therefore an electric moped and should be classed and taxed accordingly.
Correct - ? :whistle:

People will be along shortly to argue vociferously about the detail, but to a rough approximation, yes.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
No, if the bike was built/converted before the law changed then it is perfectly legal as long as it cannot exceed 15.5 mph under electric power, my trike and Maz's bike fall into this category the law changed on 1st jan. 2016 but any bike purchased or converted before then is still legal.

Any change in the law cannot be applied to vehicles before the changes hence classic cars do not require seatbelts to be fitted etc.

But just to throw an extra level of complexity, my ebike is nearly new, assistance cuts out at 15mph, assistance only cuts in whilst I pedal. But.....
It has a "walk alongside" feature whereby it powers itself along at about 2 mph as long as I keep a finger on a button on handlebars. It's a useful feature for helping get the bike up a steep slope, like off the local esplanade.
But there is no way that I would call the bike anything other than an assisted pedal cycle.

figbat

Slippery scientist
But just to throw an extra level of complexity, my ebike is nearly new, assistance cuts out at 15mph, assistance only cuts in whilst I pedal. But.....
It has a "walk alongside" feature whereby it powers itself along at about 2 mph as long as I keep a finger on a button on handlebars. It's a useful feature for helping get the bike up a steep slope, like off the local esplanade.
But there is no way that I would call the bike anything other than an assisted pedal cycle.

'Walk assist' is a permitted exception.

OP
OP
simongt

simongt

Guru
Indeed, and I don't understand why there is no enforcement. It is a straightforward rule and is being blatantly flaunted.
simple. The authorities pretty much nationwide don't have the personpower or resouces to be able to 'pursue' ( sorry - ! :laugh: ) such offenders.
Also they would probably just get the proverbial slap-on-the-wrist anyway due to the now excessive amount of admin needed to process the matter. :dry:
On-the-spot fines of at least £100 may deter a few though. :whistle:

Top Bottom