3 Days 3 Bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Monday - Pearson Touche:
My usual commuter bike, but I had a puncture a short distance from work, so walked it in with the intention to repair for the ride home. Had a last minute pacic at work that needed to be sorted so didn't get to start the repair as soon as I had wanted to. Inspection of the tyre (Conti GP 4 season) for the debris causing puncture revealed a cut across the width if the tyre that was all the way through and meant consigning it to the bin. The nearest LBS was about to shut, but a phone call and quick walk in SPD's got there in time. The only tyre they had that would fit the clearences was a Schwalbe Marathon Plus so took that. Replaced the tube with spare and fitted tyre, not an easy task as the second bead didn't want to play without popping out the first bead. Pumped up to pressure (fortunately we have a track stand bolted to the floor in the bike shed at work and it wasn't broken) and left. About a mile from home the tyre was flat again. The tube I had used had been one I had repaired from a previous puncture, so I assumed a bad fix and slow leak and tried pumping it up enough to get home. Unfortunately when removing the pump, the valve stem sheared off the tube (long stem as I have deep section rims) so I ended up walking home. When I got home I had other things that needed to be done so the repair will have to wait for the weekend.

Tuesday - Ridgeback Nemesis:
Last winter I did something to the Nexus 8 hub when I rode over a pothole. I thought I had made the repair OK, but when I rode it on a charity ride at the start of this summer it went again. I made the repair again, this time replacing a bearing that had worked loose spilling the balls into the freewheel pawls. since then the bike had primarily been used to nip down to the shops for a pint of milk or a chippie. On the way home it started to happen again, the freewheel gets tight and grinding noises are heard in most gears. This time it was too far to walk and get home in time to meet the teachers at the school so my wife came to collect me.

Wednesday - Cannondale T2000:
I tend to underuse this bike as it a a bit small for me. However a bit of air in the tyres and fixing of saddlebag mounting and light bracket had this ready in no time before I went to bed. No major issues on the ride in, just had to stop once to adjust the handlebars and seat height. The brakes are a bit sticky and are not releasing cleanly, but that is nothing major to fix.

I just hope nothing goes wrong on the way home as I have run out of bikes that are ready to ride.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
N+1 - just buy another if this one breaks down..... :biggrin:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
They're like buses mate. Nowt happens for a while and then...all at once.

I blame that Sod dude and his law.

I tend to use a fresh tube as I don't trust my repairs and don't have time to faff about.Luckily P's are rare (touchwood) so not much waste...I think if I had a p*nct*r* on the thicker thorn resistant inner tunes I would take the trouble to fix it as they are worth their weight in gold.

Top Bottom