Gravel Bikes....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maylian

Veteran
So, I bought myself a Giant Revolt Adv. 3 on the cyclescheme as I'm getting back into cycling in the real world and not just in Zwift. I had been using my old carbon road bike in and around Bristol and been enjoying it.

I started commuting on the gravel bike this week and I've got really mixed feelings about it and I'm trying to figure out if this is just me adapting to change. So obviously the bike is a bit heavier than my old bike, and I'm using SPD instead of SPD-SL's, but it feels quite a bit slower and more effort to ride. I am loving the disc brakes (especially this morning) and it is nicer on the rough tarmac and absorbing bumps, but it feels a bit too soft / bouncy at times. Now, I'm a big guy so wanted something that could deal with my bulk, but the jury is out on what I think is likely a great bike at the moment. I don't think there's much I can do if I don't like the bike in terms of returning it and I'll definitely stick with it for a while to see how it feels.

But have any other commuters made the switch from road to gravel bikes, and if so, did it take you a while to get used to it? Are you enjoying it now and wouldn't dream of switching back?

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
What tyres are you using?
If stock gravel tyres then swap them for some slicker road tyres.
I run 28mm Conti GP5000 @ 80psi & 32mm Conti Gatorskins @ 70-75psi on my gravel bikes when using on the road.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My CX bike (proper name not this fashionable 'gravel' wording) isn't much slower than my road bikes, but it is a 'race bike'. Switching from 25c to 38c on the CX bike is comfy and just a little slower. It's much faster than my slicked up MTB for commuting - over 5 minutes quicker over 10 miles.

I think it's a case of getting used to it and some tyres can be a fair bit slower depending upon what they are/weight/tread. The tyres on my CX bike are quite fast rolling.

I also switch the wheels to 28c road tyres for grubby road rides on the CX.

si_c

Guru
I started commuting on the gravel bike this week and I've got really mixed feelings about it and I'm trying to figure out if this is just me adapting to change. So obviously the bike is a bit heavier than my old bike, and I'm using SPD instead of SPD-SL's, but it feels quite a bit slower and more effort to ride.
It probably isn't, we often judge speed as a function of the vibration we feel through the tyres when riding faster - on a bike with wider, softer tyres you won't be feeling the same vibrations, so it will "feel" slower despite not actually being slower. In fact on poor road surfaces it is likely faster.
I am loving the disc brakes (especially this morning) and it is nicer on the rough tarmac and absorbing bumps, but it feels a bit too soft / bouncy at times. Now, I'm a big guy so wanted something that could deal with my bulk, but the jury is out on what I think is likely a great bike at the moment. I don't think there's much I can do if I don't like the bike in terms of returning it and I'll definitely stick with it for a while to see how it feels.
It'll take a while to get used to, stick with it. Even if you just use it as a dedicated commuting bike and do leisure rides on your old bike for more "fun".
But have any other commuters made the switch from road to gravel bikes, and if so, did it take you a while to get used to it? Are you enjoying it now and wouldn't dream of switching back?
I moved to all-road type bikes, so somewhere between a road and gravel bike - think 32mm tyres instead of 25mm - and not much narrower than the 38s that AIUI are on the Revolt Adv 3.

OP
OP
Maylian

Maylian

Veteran
Thanks for the replies, I will look at swapping the tires as a starting option. Going from 100-120psi on the road bike to 60ish feels odd to me, although comfy at times.

I think part of the adjustment is also the change in shoes / cleats so being less firm (although easier to clip in) and also the gearing on the bike so top speed is slightly reduced.

Jameshow

Veteran
My CX bike (proper name not this fashionable 'gravel' wording) isn't much slower than my road bikes, but it is a 'race bike'. Switching from 25c to 38c on the CX bike is comfy and just a little slower. It's much faster than my slicked up MTB for commuting - over 5 minutes quicker over 10 miles.

I think it's a case of getting used to it and some tyres can be a fair bit slower depending upon what they are/weight/tread. The tyres on my CX bike are quite fast rolling.

I also switch the wheels to 28c road tyres for grubby road rides on the CX.

Also the wheels will be heavier cheap disc wheels will weigh 2300gms where as some ASIC rim rs10 wheels will weigh 1800g. So that's 500gms not including tyres which could also be 500gms heavier so that's 1kg of rotating weight making alot of difference inho.

OP
OP
Maylian

Maylian

Veteran
Also the wheels will be heavier cheap disc wheels will weigh 2300gms where as some ASIC rim rs10 wheels will weigh 1800g. So that's 500gms not including tyres which could also be 500gms heavier so that's 1kg of rotating weight making alot of difference inho.

Yeah good point. Hopefully the regular commuting will help me drop from my current 20st down to something a bit trimmer where I can start worrying about that 500g difference :smile:

rivers

How far can I go?
I use my gravel bike for winter commuting- but I have a set of road wheels with 32mm slicks on it. It is slower than using my road bike, and a slightly more upright position. And yeah, you know what, not as fun on the road. But it's got disc brakes, so I'm happier using it in the wet. Fingers crossed the gravel tyres will make it on next month, and I'll be able to take some slightly more interesting routes home, or just get to and from work marginally quicker on the road bike. My gravel bike is more fun off road.

All uphill

Still rolling along
we often judge speed as a function of the vibration we feel through the tyres when riding faster - on a bike with wider, softer tyres you won't be feeling the same vibrations, so it will "feel" slower despite not actually being slower. In fact on poor road surfaces it is likely faster.
This is so true.

I have two sets of tyres for my main bike. 30mm for summer and 35mm for winter.
The bigger tyres feel much slower, but the difference in average speed is only about 0.2 mph.

.. Also it depends on the type of tires I bought some cheaper Vitoria ones and they were horrible compared to the G-ones I had on the bike before. With the right tires I think I'm only about 1 mph slower on my gravel bike than my audax steel road bike

OP
OP
Maylian

Maylian

Veteran
.. Also it depends on the type of tires I bought some cheaper Vitoria ones and they were horrible compared to the G-ones I had on the bike before. With the right tires I think I'm only about 1 mph slower on my gravel bike than my audax steel road bike

Yeah, the few rides I've had with it the average speed isn't too dissimilar, but I noticed on the faster downhill bits I'm barely hitting 30mph whereas on the road bike I'm hitting 40, but that's likely the gearing for the most part and then the tires.

fossyant

Rim weight is usually where the issue is.

fossyant

What tyres are on the Gravel bike OP ?. I have some relatively cheap (£19.99) Decathlon 'Light' Gravel tyres, and they both grip well and roll well on tarmac. They are not as fast as the 25c tyres at 90-100 PSI. They are, 420g which isn't bad, compared to a road tyre around 250g.

Some tyres, especially wire bead, and extra puncture protection, can roll slowly. My slick commuter tyres aren't very quick as they are heavy and have a thick puncture protection, but that's exactly what you need for commuting.

Bear in mind the new bike's tyres will probably be more robust. I'd personally just ride it - yes it will be a little harder, but there is nothing wrong with that, and road bike rides will feel great.

Top Bottom