Gravel Bikes....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Yeah, the few rides I've had with it the average speed isn't too dissimilar, but I noticed on the faster downhill bits I'm barely hitting 30mph whereas on the road bike I'm hitting 40, but that's likely the gearing for the most part and then the tires.

Gearing and tyres for limited top speed - wouldn't worry about it. I no doubt the gravel bike goes up steep climbs easier, especially if 'gravel' - you can't have everything.

mustang1

Guru
Years ago I commited on either my road bike or (before it was called gravel) a gravel bike. The gravel bike was certainly more comfortable than the road but it WAS slower. I timed my commutes and the gravel was always a bit slower.

But it never stopped me from riding it and I mixed it up between the two bikes. I always preferred the road bike with it's sharp handling and quick bursts of speed that the gravel could never match; it was never far behind, but it was behind.

The panniers and larger volume tyres and relaxed position made for a more comfortable ride, but I still loved riding the road bike in a way I never loved with gravel.

I use my Gravel bike when the temps are a bit low, its a bit slower (bit heavier and knobbly tyred) and slightly awkward having a longer wheel base and flared bars for the train part of my commute but its nice and stable, comfortable and reassuring. Id use the gravel bike more often and explore more after work if it had guards and was a bit less cumbersome on London bound trains which can be busy; my winter road bike is better there.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Also the spokes a 32 spoke training wheels feels heavier than a 16 spoke factory built wheel. Disc wheels necessarily dictate higher numbers of spokes.

Anyone that has a 16 spoke wheel deserves the outcome.

Discs don't need higher spokes as braking force in on the hub.

Simple maths.

PS I build wheels.

Jameshow

Veteran
Anyone that has a 16 spoke wheel deserves the outcome.

Discs don't need higher spokes as braking force in on the hub.

Simple maths.

PS I build wheels.

I disagree the disc brake is putting all the braking force through the spokes to the tyre, where as a rim brake puts the force front the rim to the tyre hence the load on the spokes is lower.

I have rs10 and Durace c24 and you don't get disc wheels as light as those for the same money.

LloydMids

I have a Ribble CGR. It's just good at everything, great on roads, easily good enough on gravel .... and it looks rather nice too (I have the orange one)

Top Bottom