Scotland : Glasgow & Clyde Valley 3 ferries ride, August midweek.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Being a weekend worker, I have missed out on the Arran and Stirling rides; so I hereby propose a midweek ride, to be held sometime in August. Any Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday will do. Provisional date is Thursday 15th August, but this is flexible to suit the majority.

The route I am suggesting would involve meeting at Wemyss Bay train station (plenty of parking £3 per day) about 11am (this allows Glasgow folk to travel on an off peak train leaving Central station at 9.55 for £7.80 return instead of £11 an hour earlier!), then cycling 7 miles to McInroys Point (Gourock) for the ferry to Dunoon. The Wemyss Bay to Gourock section involves a section along the A78 trunk road, BUT there is a suitable tarmac path which can be used to avoid that, and I generally use the path when out myself. Keen roadies might prefer to stay on the A78.
From Dunoon, it's a minor road over to Loch Striven then a quite "interesting" climb (about 500 feet in 2 miles) up the west side of Loch Striven and then a long downhill and on to Colintraive, a distance of about 20 miles from Dunoon, for the second ferry crossing.
The third ferry takes us over to Rhubodach at the north end of my old home, the Isle of Bute (where I got "Brandane" from). There follows a reasonably flat 9 miles to the town of Rothesay, and the last ferry of the day which takes us directly back to Wemyss Bay train station.
I make that a total of 36 miles, but there are options available on the Isle of Bute for lengthening it if people want, and if the weather is good. There are a few options for food and/or drink in Colintraive and in Rothesay.
Usual rules apply; all you need is a bike and no-one gets left behind! Rothesay is famous for Zavaronis ice cream. Cake and beer also available :smile:. Ferry fares for the 3 crossings come to a total of £10.

Some pics for shameless promotion purposes :thumbsup: : The famous train station at Wemyss Bay:
139514185.TKdj3sJR.poom04.jpg

Ferry #1......

032474_ba24aba7.jpg

Head of Loch Striven from part way up THAT hill:

572700_cc8929dd.jpg

Ferry #2, the crossing is only about 3 minutes and you could throw a stone across:
229513_4ecea7be.jpg

Rothesay:
78833902.eBd0BMkS.jpg

MikeW-71

Veteran
Hmm, I'd be interested. thursday 15th would be good for me :smile:

shyfire

Interesting I'm off all that week, was planning to get out and about :bicycle:trying out some new routes.
The climb past Loch Striven .... just how steep (compared to say the Duke's Pass ) ?

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Interesting I'm off all that week, was planning to get out and about :bicycle:trying out some new routes.
The climb past Loch Striven .... just how steep (compared to say the Duke's Pass ) ?

I have only done the Dukes pass the easy way; i.e. downhill! It's not as long as the Dukes pass, and comes in 2 stages with a wee bit of flat for respite, but the second part is quite steep for a couple of hundred yards. I am 51 so no young mountain goat, and I can do it without having to get off and walk (only just!), and even if people DO have to walk sections of it, that's not a problem as the basic rule is "no-one gets left behind". And for every climb, there is a descent........ :thumbsup:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Thursday 15 would be good for me too, as on the Wednesday I am booked at a bike repair course at the bike station :blush:
Never been in that area, might have to stop a lot for pictures ... not because of the hills ... :whistle:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
What about bikes on trains? I'm having a hard time trying to get 10 bikes to Perth as you know. Are we gonna have the same problems you think?

Col5632

Guru
Sounds a great ride but sadly I work Monday to Friday so this is a no go for me :sad:

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
So, if I've got this right:
http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2935555

Looks like a nice little leg tester in the middle there :smile:

Uh, better start training, lay off the chocs :huh:

That's the one! As I said though, it's not a race so no-one should be put off by it. It's short and sweet so can be walked if necessary. The other peak at the 32 mile mark can be disregarded as we will be taking the alternative "old" road which follows the coastline (errrm, with the odd slope or two :laugh:). Please note the edit to the provisional date .... now Thursday 15th.

Edit: The mileage discrepancy between your GPS route and the actual route is down to the fact that your GPS route took you via the Argyll Ferries service from Gourock to Dunoon. We will be using Western Ferries which is a few miles outside Gourock, and drops us off a couple of miles north of Dunoon. Every little helps!

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
What about bikes on trains? I'm having a hard time trying to get 10 bikes to Perth as you know. Are we gonna have the same problems you think?

From my experience, they aren't nearly as strict on the Clyde coast lines as they are on the lines to the east. Probably because they aren't anything like as busy passenger wise, and the trains are better suited to carrying bikes. They have a dedicated space for 3 bikes, but even when that is full (usually with prams, or luggage heading to the airport) I have never had a problem being allowed to put my bike in the doorway (you will have to stay near the bike if you do that, as sometimes doors will open on different sides on singletrack lines; you wouldn't want your bike falling out onto the platform!). On most trains there will be at least 3 carriages, possibly as many as six, with 2 doors on each carriage. Midweek there shouldn't be a problem with other cyclists, hopefully!

Rasmus

Without a clever title
Looks like a good ride. I visited Bute recently, but had unfortunately destroyed my legs quite completely getting there (via the rest and be thankful) that I did not take the time to explore.

The other peak at the 32 mile mark can be disregarded as we will be taking the alternative "old" road which follows the coastline (errrm, with the odd slope or two :laugh:).
Confirmed!

From my experience, they aren't nearly as strict on the Clyde coast lines as they are on the lines to the east.
This is my experience too. I think there were about 15 bikes on the train to Ardrossan Harbour a few weeks ago. By the way if you're training it from Glasgow, you could get a return ticket to Wemyss Bay, but alight at Branchton on the outbound trip - it's a short downhill from there to the ferry at McInroy's point.

Dammit, I just got a citation through about possible jury service at the High Court starting on the 14th so may not be able to make this... It's not a definite though, I have to phone up the night before to see if I'm needed, so fingers crossed!

Top Bottom