3 Peaks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Piers Gambarini

Hi,

I'm looking to climb the three peaks (Ben Nevis, Scarfell Pike and Snowdon) and cycle between them.

It is roughly 460 miles across some pretty hilly terrain.

Has anyone got any advice or done anything similar?

We are looking to complete this within 3 days so should be a pretty epic challenge.

Thanks

Piers

Cathryn

Legendary Member
That's mad!!! In a fab kind of way!

Anthony

Hello Piers. 2 summers ago I cycled from John O'groats to Lands End and did the 3 peaks on the way. Here is some info you might find useful:

For Ben Nevis we left all our gear in the lockers at Fort William station then cycled to the Ben Nevis visitor centre and locked our bikes there. The climb up Nevis is fairly easy, we didn't have a map because there is an obvious path to the summit. All we took was 6L of water and a bit of food. Though if your not doing this in the summer then I would take more gear.

Getting to Scarfell was not as hilly as we thought. We took the A66 to Keswick, then the B5289 past derwent water to the northside of Scarfell. We managed to leave our gear at the youth hostel opposite derwent water. (We just knocked on the door and asked them). We locked our bikes to a fence in the car park at the foot of the climb. We bought a map for this one and it was needed.

We thought getting to Snowdon would be very tough but it was fairly easy. Just stick to the north coast of Wales (passing places like Rhyl), then at Colwyn Bay take the A470 south towards Snowdon. We left our bags in the information centre at Betws-y-Coed, then cycled up to the Snowdon visitor centre at Pen-y-Pass.

Doing this in 3 days is pretty epic. The cycling will definitely be harder than the hike up the mountains. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
P

Piers Gambarini

Anthony,

Thanks for the info, all very helpful. We are in the early planning stages after what was a drunken challenge that has slowly grown into reality!

I'm a cyclist but Owen isn't so I'm trying to get him on a bike as soon as possible.

We have the luxury of a support crew (a couple of mates who want to see us going through a lot of pain!) so won't have to worry about locking bikes etc.

We are looking to do it in April so will have to carry a fair amount of warm kit for the peaks and the ride.

3 Days is going to be a real push but want it to be a huge challenge!

Thanks for advice!

Piers

Brains

Legendary Member
April on the top of Ben Nevis.

A very good chance your kit will need to include ice axes, helmets and crampons

Anthony

Brains said:
April on the top of Ben Nevis.

A very good chance your kit will need to include ice axes, helmets and crampons

April shouldn't be too bad. I went up Nevis in January 2008, when there was 30mph winds, -20*C wind chill and a white out! We had ice axes and crampons but didn't need them. Just needed a good set of warm clothes.

ASC1951

Guru
Even though our winters are generally much milder than in my youth, you still can't tell. I've been up the Ben in shorts and tee shirt in March and needed axe and crampons (although not on the trade route from Glen Nevis) in late April. Whatever the weather when you set off, it is foolish to go up the Ben without full body cover. My last Top http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munro) was on Liathach up in Torridon, which I went up on Midsummer's Day. At 2,500' it started to rain, which I had expected. At 2,800' it started to snow, which was a surprise.

Scafell and Snowdon are much less likely to have snow in April. I would still generally take at least lightweight full body cover, although both are less serious places than the Ben if things go wrong.

TBH unless you are very familiar with these hills I would always take map, whistle and compass, plus some rudimentary knowledge of how to use them. A light-coloured path across a boulder field becomes invisible surprisingly quickly in rain and low cloud and dozens of people get lost every year coming down the rounded upper slopes of the Ben: the wind whistles up the glen and in poor visibility inexperienced mountaineers instinctively trend downwind, which on that route can take you to places you really don't want to be.

In good weather the ascents will be a doddle, but in grim conditions do be wary of the "We've done the other two, so we can't possibly turn back now".

nickhudson

Hi myself and 2 other guys have done this challenge twice. If you want to check out our first trip go to the following website http://www.tpcc.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

We did it again last year in 46 hours (continuous) - was rather extreme. If you are serious about doing it i can give you details about the route etc. We did both challenges with support - ie a man with a van supplying us with butties and refreshments. We found having shorter more frequent stops (about every two to two and a half hours better when we did it second time round. North-South or vice versa? Both have there merits; finishing at Snowdon means a harder cycling finish but a shorter walk, but finishing at Fortwilliam means a fairly easy cycling finish but a longer walk.

As mentioned above conditions in April can be very hazardous - we did a training event up Snowdon in mid April in 2008 and could not get up the last 1/3 as the path was unpassable without crampons.

Best of luck

jonnyboy

sounds like a crackin challenge,be sure ur navigation is spot on especially on the ben if the weather is bad, wrong turn up there and ur in big trouble

Top Bottom