3-day round trip from Belfast

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lozfuller

Veteran
Hi,

We're taking our bikes on the overnight Liverpool to Belfast ferry and have three days for a circular trip. We're on hybrids with panniers so not wishing to do more than around 50 miles per day. Thinking about the following route, going clockwise:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Ste...f!2m2!1d-5.8921818!2d54.6298789!3e1?entry=ttu

So staying overnight in Newcastle for the first night, Armagh for the second and then back to Belfast for the final night. Any thoughts on route and overnight stops? An alternative to Armagh for the second night would be either Portadown or Banbridge, but accommodation is a little more scarce in those two places. The above obviously uses Google maps just to get an idea of distance, but I'll be using 'Ride with GPS' for the actual route.

Thanks for any feedback/suggestions!

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Personally I'd either stay around the Mournes in Co. Down rather than Armagh or up to the north coast. I'd not be riding anywhere near Armagh from experience.

avsd

Guru
Live in Belfast and can review your RideGPS routes later.

Ards Peninsula is a nice ride and could be done as a loop with an overnight stay in Belfast.

Armagh is a nice city - road to Newcastle/Banbridge is quite busy. Road along the back (north west) side of Mournes via Spelga dam is very nice and can drop down to Carlingford Lough which is pretty. A lumpy route but if you are fit very enjoyable.

Coast Road north of Larne is very nice. and easily accessed form the ferry terminal.

Would you consider staying near Belfast and do three day trips ? Routes from Armagh to Belfast are ok but not in NI's top ten. If based in Belfast I would recommend:

1. North coast loop towards Camlough and include Island Magee (near Larne) for Brown's ice cream
  2. Loop of Ards Peninsula maybe even catch the ferry at Stangford/Portaferry. Some nice coffee/lunch stops and National Trust properties
  3. Loop toward Dromara with distant views of the Mournes.

OP
OP
L

lozfuller

Veteran
Live in Belfast and can review your RideGPS routes later.

Ards Peninsula is a nice ride and could be done as a loop with an overnight stay in Belfast.

Armagh is a nice city - road to Newcastle/Banbridge is quite busy. Road along the back (north west) side of Mournes via Spelga dam is very nice and can drop down to Carlingford Lough which is pretty. A lumpy route but if you are fit very enjoyable.

Coast Road north of Larne is very nice. and easily accessed form the ferry terminal.

Would you consider staying near Belfast and do three day trips ? Routes from Armagh to Belfast are ok but not in NI's top ten. If based in Belfast I would recommend:

1. North coast loop towards Camlough and include Island Magee (near Larne) for Brown's ice cream
  2. Loop of Ards Peninsula maybe even catch the ferry at Stangford/Portaferry. Some nice coffee/lunch stops and National Trust properties
  3. Loop toward Dromara with distant views of the Mournes.
Thanks for the detailed response. We did once do daily round trips from a single place but weren't as keen, as we didn't get the same sense of adventure or the benefit of different bars to visit in each town! You clearly know the area very well and I'm pretty flexible in terms of where we go, provided the overnight stops are in reasonable sized towns/cities. As such, is there a route you could recommend on that basis? Appreciate I might be asking the impossible though!

Emanresu

Had a trip through the west and north last year and it was an eye opener. Really nice parts in Tyrone and along the north coast. You can also take bikes on trains so could do a linear route back to Belfast along one of the coasts. Pics are around Portstewart though Enniskillen was a pleasant town .

https://www.translink.co.uk/

Attachments

• IMG_3979.JPG
    IMG_3979.JPG
    219.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3980.JPG
    IMG_3980.JPG
    141.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3984.JPG
    IMG_3984.JPG
    153.9 KB · Views: 8
OP
OP
L

lozfuller

Veteran
Personally I'd either stay around the Mournes in Co. Down rather than Armagh or up to the north coast. I'd not be riding anywhere near Armagh from experience.

Thanks - is that because of the traffic/roads around Armagh or the place itself?

avsd

Guru
Thanks for the detailed response. We did once do daily round trips from a single place but weren't as keen, as we didn't get the same sense of adventure or the benefit of different bars to visit in each town! You clearly know the area very well and I'm pretty flexible in terms of where we go, provided the overnight stops are in reasonable sized towns/cities. As such, is there a route you could recommend on that basis? Appreciate I might be asking the impossible though!

I will give it some thought @lozfuller. When are you coming and what times are your ferry arrivals/departures? Would you consider the use of a train/bus to get back to Belfast as suggested by Emanresu?

My initial thoughts are north along the coast road visiting the Giants Causeway and Portstewart and some of the glens. reasonable size town/cities by UK standards might be an issue for some nights.

OP
OP
L

lozfuller

Veteran

Or would this be a nicer route, staying overnight in Downpatrick and then Newry instead? Again, using RideGPS for the best route through. Thanks.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Ste...f!2m2!1d-5.8921818!2d54.6298789!3e1?entry=ttu

OP
OP
L

lozfuller

Veteran
I will give it some thought @lozfuller. When are you coming and what times are your ferry arrivals/departures? Would you consider the use of a train/bus to get back to Belfast as suggested by Emanresu?

My initial thoughts are north along the coast road visiting the Giants Causeway and Portstewart and some of the glens. reasonable size town/cities by UK standards might be an issue for some nights.

Sorry, just seen your latest response. Arriving in Belfast at 06.30 on Thursday 6 June on the ferry from Liverpool and then ferry back at 10.30 on Sunday 9 June. Would consider the train - so would that be cycling to say Derry over three days? In which case, we'd have to come back late afternoon on Saturday 8 June as I don't think they allow bikes on trains before 9.30. Also there are 4 of us, so 4 bikes might not all fit on the train as first come, first served?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Had a trip through the west and north last year and it was an eye opener. Really nice parts in Tyrone and along the north coast. You can also take bikes on trains so could do a linear route back to Belfast along one of the coasts. Pics are around Portstewart though Enniskillen was a pleasant town .

https://www.translink.co.uk/

Close to Portstewart but the other side of the River Bann at Castlerock. You'd horrify Game of Thrones enthusiasts as it's the Mussenden Temple.

Thanks - is that because of the traffic/roads around Armagh or the place itself?

Basically there's not much to see out that way apart from fields and farms. Plus drivers in south Armagh tend to be a bit on the crazy side.

My choice?

I'd go either north up the coast road, although Belfast-Larne's not that exciting, then up to Glenarm/Cushendall. Day two would be via Ballycastle, Carrick-a-Rede (expensive but different) and the Giant's Causeway to do sightseeing - stopping in Portrush/Portstewart (I've lived in both) via Bushmills if a 'stiffener' was needed. Day three, given they won't do bikes on trains early, would be across via Castlerock to a station towards Derry. There's not too much to see after Limavady.

Or, go south towards Mount Stewart alongside Strangford Lough, down to Ballyhenry Island and across the ferry at Portaferry-Strangford staying somewhere near Newcastle. Day two would be into the Mournes, either over and down to Rostrevor (I'm biased - SWMBO's from there) to complete a hilly day, or back north a bit towards Banbridge. Day three would be back roads through Hillsborough and back to Belfast.

OP
OP
L

lozfuller

Veteran
Close to Portstewart but the other side of the River Bann at Castlerock. You'd horrify Game of Thrones enthusiasts as it's the Mussenden Temple.

Basically there's not much to see out that way apart from fields and farms. Plus drivers in south Armagh tend to be a bit on the crazy side.

My choice?

I'd go either north up the coast road, although Belfast-Larne's not that exciting, then up to Glenarm/Cushendall. Day two would be via Ballycastle, Carrick-a-Rede (expensive but different) and the Giant's Causeway to do sightseeing - stopping in Portrush/Portstewart (I've lived in both) via Bushmills if a 'stiffener' was needed. Day three, given they won't do bikes on trains early, would be across via Castlerock to a station towards Derry. There's not too much to see after Limavady.

Or, go south towards Mount Stewart alongside Strangford Lough, down to Ballyhenry Island and across the ferry at Portaferry-Strangford staying somewhere near Newcastle. Day two would be into the Mournes, either over and down to Rostrevor (I'm biased - SWMBO's from there) to complete a hilly day, or back north a bit towards Banbridge. Day three would be back roads through Hillsborough and back to Belfast.

Many thanks - think we'll head north!

avsd

Guru
I think North along the Antrim coast/glens is a good option. @DCLane suggestions are good. The coast path/road from Belfast to Larne is OK. I not sure I would recommend Newry or Downpatrick as an overnight stop. Rostrevor is very nice. My childhood was in Kilkeel about 10 miles away.

A few random points
1. Cushendall would make a good first night stop. McCollam's Bar, known locally as Johnny Joe's, is a friendly traditional Irish pub steeped in history is a decent spot. There might even be some traditional music on. Link to Facebook page Johnny Joe's. Golf club in Cushendall might be another option for dinner. Cushendall is a village not a large town.
2. As said buses and trains are restricted to four bikes. Train station and bus station in Coleraine are quite close to one another in case you need to split for the return to Belfast.
3. Giant's Causeway is worth a visit as is Bushmills Distillery. Portstewart/Portrush are options for second night. Not towns I visit very often.
4. The Titanic Centre/Exhibition is very good and worth a visit if you get back to Belfast early afternoon. There is am underground car park so should be safe enough for your bikes. Phone Titanic Belfast for advice.
5. Leaving Belfast - you should use the coastal cycleway and head to Carrickfergus and then Whitehead and onto Larne. I can plot a GPS route for you if you can't find it.
6. If you need a good breakfast after coming of the boat I would recommend Pump House ( Duncrue Rd, Belfast BT3 9BP). It is quite near ferry terminal and cycle path to Carrickfergus.
7. Avoid Tor Head near Ballycastle unless you enjoy steep climbs/decents. The views are stunning nice but it is Lake District type roads and climbs. Go via the 'balancing lakes'. If you want some height to see Scotland better Layde Hill is a little easier.
8. This a good site for more information ANTRIM COAST & GLENS AREA

OP
OP
L

lozfuller

Veteran
Thanks for all the detailed information both - really appreciate it. I've now booked both Cushendall, Portrush and Belfast.

That's a good tip about the train/bus options. I think I can see the route you mean out of Belfast to Larne - is that Shore Road, which hugs the A2? A GPS route would be good if you have time, but no problems if not. I can't seem to find the 'balancing lakes' though?

Thanks again!

avsd

Guru
Thanks for all the detailed information both - really appreciate it. I've now booked both Cushendall, Portrush and Belfast.

That's a good tip about the train/bus options. I think I can see the route you mean out of Belfast to Larne - is that Shore Road, which hugs the A2? A GPS route would be good if you have time, but no problems if not. I can't seem to find the 'balancing lakes' though?

Thanks again!

See if you can access this route on Cycle.Travel 'Ferry to Cushendall' There is dedicated cycle path from near the terminal to Jordanstown. Then you pick up the old Shore Road towards Carrickfergus and onto the A2. You are going out of town so traffic should be OK. Coast Road/A2 gets busy at the weekends.

It is the Vanishing Lake not the Balancing Lakes :blush: See here for details - Vanishing Lake

OP
OP
L

lozfuller

Veteran
Yes can access that, thanks, so all good! Ah, so basically the A2 all the way from Cushendall to Ballycastle. Is it not too busy?

Top Bottom