Three day ride somewhere warm in April

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Twilkes

Guru
I may have a few days in April to fly somewhere for some leisure riding (<75 miles a day, not too hilly) - any recommendations on where to go?

Maybe somewhere that I can cycle straight from the airport, be near the coast/beaches, and few highrise hotels, being on a bike I can hopefully get a bit further than the usual package holiday haunts.

Thinking somewhere in Spain/Portugal/south of France? Majorca or one of the islands? Canaries and Greek islands probably too far for that short a time.

AndyRM

XOXO
You can get to Mallorca or France for around £200 from Newcastle at that time, according to recent Googling by my good lady who's looking for a smiliar getaway for herself and a pal (albeit without bicycles). Amusingly, similarly priced getaways in the UK included a 3 night stay in a Days Inn off the M5 in Bristol, or for £10 more you could 'upgrade' to a Holiday Inn.

I know what I'd be picking given that choice!

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
You can get to Mallorca or France for around £200 from Newcastle at that time, according to recent Googling by my good lady who's looking for a smiliar getaway for herself and a pal (albeit without bicycles). Amusingly, similarly priced getaways in the UK included a 3 night stay in a Days Inn off the M5 in Bristol, or for £10 more you could 'upgrade' to a Holiday Inn.

I know what I'd be picking given that choice!

Which airports in France, out of interest? I'm thinking the further south the better but I'm much better with French than Spanish or Portuguese!

AndyRM

XOXO
Which airports in France, out of interest? I'm thinking the further south the better but I'm much better with French than Spanish or Portuguese!

I'm not 100%, the place was in Burgundy somewhere, so probably Charles du Gaulle then a train out to Dijon. Have asked for a link when she has a free moment today.

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
I'm not 100%, the place was in Burgundy somewhere, so probably Charles du Gaulle then a train out to Dijon. Have asked for a link when she has a free moment today.

Ah no problem, I'd be looking to cycle right from the airport so probably fly somewhere further south than that, think there's a direct flight to Marseille from my local airport.

vickster

Legendary Member
Ah no problem, I'd be looking to cycle right from the airport so probably fly somewhere further south than that, think there's a direct flight to Marseille from my local airport.

Can you get to Montpellier, otherwise Marseille a good shout (airport is a bit out of the city), otherwise Nice if wanting coastal. The big rides in Majorca are pretty hilly and away from the sea iirc. Why do you need a high rise hotel?
You can always hop on a train with your bike if needed from the airport

AndyRM

XOXO
Not worth going abroad for 3 days.

How do you figure that one? Plenty of places you can get to in Europe and beyond in less than 3 hours if flying, or overnight trains/ferries are an option.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
How do you figure that one? Plenty of places you can get to in Europe and beyond in less than 3 hours if flying, or overnight trains/ferries are an option.

Soon as you get there, its time to come home. I don't think its worth it personally ££ and time wise. It might be less than 3 hours flying but there's getting to and from the airport and all the waiting about whilst in there. I think its a waste of time but obviously everyone is different.

AndyRM

XOXO
Soon as you get there, its time to come home. I don't think its worth it personally ££ and time wise. It might be less than 3 hours flying but there's getting to and from the airport and all the waiting about whilst in there. I think its a waste of time but obviously everyone is different.

The OP, for example...

It is if you live in Scotland. :smile:

Where's your local airport? If you're in the north that potentially opens up Scandinavia too which isn't roasting in spring, but pretty spectacular scenery and cycling wise.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
I've been to Sweden in the summer round Hudiskvall, It was beautiful, but for more than 3 days. I stayed in a cabin the the forest and it was light all night long. I think I went for just over a week.

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
Ah sorry, few high rise hotels, I wanted to avoid them. :smile:

I can cycle to Glasgow airport in half an hour, and anywhere good in Scotland that I'd want to go to is a good four hour train ride away by now anyway. And I had a soaking brass monkey trip last July so the weather can't be relied upon!

The cycling would be fun but kind of incidental to the trip, so Majora is probably out. It's maybe just a case of seeing what cheap flights I can get to the south of Europe, even if April it's not going to be roasting but hopefully will get some sunshine. :smile:

Slick

Guru

I know its a different pastime, but I've flown halfway round Europe for a game of football and back the same day.

3 days away in the sun is a great idea, especially now.

Top Bottom