3 Rides a week training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

adamangler

Veteran
So, ive been reading a lot on training and about periodization etc namely joe friel stuff.

But a formula i like the sound of is the simple 3 day a week schedule. I read rebecca ramseys book on this.

1 long zone 2 ride

1 threshold ride

1 vo2 max intervals

or variations of the above

So is that enough to improve performance for a guy who has no other goals other than riding for enjoyment/social and getting fitter and faster along the way to crack some local strava segments

So, ive been reading a lot on training and about periodization etc namely joe friel stuff.

But a formula i like the sound of is the simple 3 day a week schedule. I read rebecca ramseys book on this.

1 long zone 2 ride

1 threshold ride

1 vo2 max intervals

or variations of the above

So is that enough to improve performance for a guy who has no other goals other than riding for enjoyment/social and getting fitter and faster along the way to crack some local strava segments

That should give you a very handy performance / fitness / pace increase, as far as general riding is concerned.

Citius

You don't say what level of hours/effort you are currently doing - but assuming that programme gives you a higher training load than your current one, then you may see some improvements.

If (as it seems) you have a limited amount of hours to train, then I don't see an issue with increasing the level of intensity over volume.

OP
OP
adamangler

adamangler

Veteran
well im just getting back into cycling about a month ago after a 6 month lay off, so currently im not very fit at all and have been doing about 4-6 hours a week this last month but with no real structure just doing what i felt like, but not pushing hard for threshold or v02 max efforts just getting the legs spinning and tempo work at most.

I could train 7 days a week, but only do a long ride of 3 hours on the sunday, the rest of the week i could maybe do an hour a day but im thinking this isnt great for recovery as the shorter session would have to be more intense?

i suppose i could get up to about 10 hours a week in but would have to lower intensity for recovery?, but is that any benefit over doing say 6 hours at a higher intensity?

Tin Pot

Guru
well im just getting back into cycling about a month ago after a 6 month lay off, so currently im not very fit at all and have been doing about 4-6 hours a week this last month but with no real structure just doing what i felt like, but not pushing hard for threshold or v02 max efforts just getting the legs spinning and tempo work at most.

I could train 7 days a week, but only do a long ride of 3 hours on the sunday, the rest of the week i could maybe do an hour a day but im thinking this isnt great for recovery as the shorter session would have to be more intense?

i suppose i could get up to about 10 hours a week in but would have to lower intensity for recovery?, but is that any benefit over doing say 6 hours at a higher intensity?

The word is that...it depends.

If you have decades of "base" that's not going to evaporate anytime soon, so intensity is going to reap more rewards.

Then there is the question of what your goal is.

I'm doing 3 days of long steady rides to build base, but then I'm aiming for Ironman and I have little athletic fitness.

Top Bottom