3 Speed Fixed hub gears

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Woz!

I'm not into fixed, so it doesn't really appeal to me, but I've just noticed in the latest Sturmey Archer Catalogue that they do a fixed 3 speed hub. Sounds weird but could be a very flexible option for a bike!

zimzum42

Legendary Member
How does it work?

tyred

Legendary Member
They offered this before in the late '40s/early '50s. It was called an ASC hub and they are very sought after. I believe it is possible to turn the normal AW hub into a two speed fixed gear hub with some tweaks.

Presumeably, SA want to cash in on the current interest in fixed gear bikes.

OP
OP
W

Woz!

zimzum42 said:
How does it work?

No idea - the catalogue's not very forthcoming on how you actually change gear.
It comes in loads of pretty colours though.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
You change gear like you do on a normal hub.
Its not properly fixed if you get what i mean. Theres some kick back on it, so if you stop pedling your legs will still be pushed around, but theres abit of slack there if you get what i mean. Which means that you can change gear.
I dont think your ment to skid with them, or ride them without a back brake are you? Or something like that. Thats how i understood it anyway.
Werent the old ones modified so you had a sort of nutral so you could stop pedling on fast downhills.
I seem to remember there is a myth or a fact that they were stop being made because people did this neutral modification and a few people went over bumps, it jumped into gear and they were thrown off. That was either a myth or a fact, not sure.
Im sure there is/was the person on here who has the last 3 speed fixed hub made by SA when they were first doing them?
They do different shifters on them aswell, which is pretty good.

Greenbank

Über Member
I can't see the point really.

Pick an appropriate gear for the hills and learn to spin. I can get up anything up to about 16% on a 67" gear. I can go down those same hills at up to 60kph.

The "point" of fixed, IMHO, is that it builds muscle strength and suppleness by forcing you into these two extremes. Add two more gears to mitigate this and you're just left with "not being able to freewheel", which is just dull and relatively pointless.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
I think a far better invention would be an effective quick release for a fixie. The two sided fixed hub is a great thing, but given tracknuts and chaintugs, it's a bit much to swap things around quickly. What Greenie says is right, ut I can imagine that if you wanted to go to the alps with a fixie, which I think is a great idea, you would want to be able to change things around without having to get a whole toolkit out....

hubgearfreak

Über Member
Woz! said:
I've just noticed in the latest Sturmey Archer Catalogue that they do a fixed 3 speed hub.

does anyone know if we can buy them yet?

tyred said:
I believe it is possible to turn the normal AW hub into a two speed fixed gear hub with some tweaks.

AASHTA http://www.sheldonbrown.com/awfixed.html

Greenbank said:
I can't see the point really.

don't buy one then....but it must appeal to some, as the old ASC always breaks the £200 barrier when they do turn up on ebay, even without the ASC specific changer:eek:

Will1985

Über Member
I was searching around for the S3X a couple of weeks ago to buy - seems that the Americans think it won't be out until the end of May at the earliest.

SA have really worked hard on this one, building in so many of the requests - adjustable chainline and OLN for starters make this a very versatile hub. It would have been fitting to call it the S3B, but what's done is done.

Now I just need to decide about black or silver...

Greenbank

Über Member
I love riding fixed but the Alpine descents would be too much (or maybe I'm just not tough enough yet). I don't mind going up the hills, I wouldn't be taking the fixed on this: http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Elenith-Audax-300km if I hated them. But I'm remembering the drop off from the Lautaret down towards Bourg d'Oisans and trying to think of 35km of spinning and my legs are starting to cramp at the mere thought.

I'll definitely be taking this bike for this ride (just the Cinglé) next year.

Top Bottom