3 year old banned from cycling outside of house ... because she might scratch a car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
[QUOTE 2674134, member: 30090"]Wow, cycle centricity rears it's ugly head once again on cycle chat. Awesome sauce.[/quote]
Child centred more like.

Anyhow, I wish they'd stop children cycling in the supermarket car park. Heaven knows how often I've come back to find some errant child cyclist has put dents all over the car....

Longshot

2674466 said:
It would be better to think about the needs and rights of all parties no?

I have, frequently. I just don't feel the need to share those thoughts in this instance. Plenty of others have expressed similar views to those that I hold already.

MarkF

Guru
That's 'cos you have confused me. Given that is not difficult - are you interested in unconfusing me?

No, no offence intended. :smile: Because you (and others) seem to have adopted my posts and suggestions as possibly endorsing the residents (possible) concerns at the expense of a 3 year old girl who wants to cycle. At no time have I done that, or, even suggested that the action taken by the car owners was right.

In nutshell................I read the headline, but didn't jump in, I took the time to read the story. Then I thought about my car outside, covered down one side with gouges and scratches (the kids have an unyielding attraction to cycling between the car and a fence) which we've already established, don't bother me. Then I thought about the two more serious incidents where young children cost me a lot of money, incidents where the parents admitted responsibility but refused to pay a.n.y.t.h.i.n.g towards repairs, taking advantage of their chidren's ages and my impotence to do anything, legally, about it.

Then, I simply posted that perhaps the residents might have a legitimate concern. I think that they do. How to solve the situation to everybody's satisfaction? I don't know.

I hope this clarifies things for you and everybody else who wishes to ignore the car owners perspective. :smile:

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
To turn this round.

Parked cars are a major risk for pedestrians, especially children being run over on the roads. Using the HA's logic, then surely these cars parked on the roads should be banned? Otherwise, should not the owners fo said vehicles be responsible for the costs of the emergency response and ongoing care?

(of course the life and health of the person involved is priceless so I stuck to the cold economic impact).

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I have, frequently. I just don't feel the need to share those thoughts in this instance. Plenty of others have expressed similar views to those that I hold already.
Yeah but if you don't constantly state all your views, and constantly point out that you agree or disagree with other people's views... then other posters will always jump to inane conclusions, put words in your mouth, demand you fully explain what you mean by a single word/sentence in one of your posts four pages ago, then call you a troll if you persist in evading or disagreeing with them. :whistle:

Last edited:

MontyVeda

No, no offence intended. :smile: Because you (and others) seem to have adopted my posts and suggestions as possibly endorsing the residents (possible) concerns at the expense of a 3 year old girl who wants to cycle. At no time have I done that, or, even suggested that the action taken by the car owners was right.

In nutshell................I read the headline, but didn't jump in, I took the time to read the story. Then I thought about my car outside, covered down one side with gouges and scratches (the kids have an unyielding attraction to cycling between the car and a fence) which we've already established, don't bother me. Then I thought about the two more serious incidents where young children cost me a lot of money, incidents where the parents admitted responsibility but refused to pay a.n.y.t.h.i.n.g towards repairs, taking advantage of their chidren's ages and my impotence to do anything, legally, about it.

Then, I simply posted that perhaps the residents might have a legitimate concern. I think that they do. How to solve the situation to everybody's satisfaction? I don't know.

I hope this clarifies things for you and everybody else who wishes to ignore the car owners perspective. :smile:
personally, i think we should burn you at the stake and be done with it :smile:

Frood42

I know where my towel is
It's not the cars fault, it's the owners fault (bit like dog owners, some good, some bad).

If you are living in a residential area, then you should expect people to be out "playing" or doing other activities, so if you want to park your car in a shared space then expect the unexpected to happen to it.

No wonder communities and streets are dying, the sheer fact we have to have schemes to claim back the streets really says it all, doesn't it.

The streets needs to be taken from cars and given back to Everyone to use (pedestrain priority), they should not be a car park (I am really, really fed up of some of the selfish a*holes where I live, who seem to think double or single yellows signify a free car park, or double park so that buses cannot get through, at a roundabout exit as well FFS).

A particular bugbear of mine is the parking of cars (and vans, even worse) so close to junctions that they obstruct the view of motorists, pedestrians and cyclists.

I think this is dangerous.

When we lived in the East End (before Residents' Parking and all that malarkey) we were only two minutes' walk from a Tube Station.

Cars were left EVERYWHERE and I'm afraid I occasionally called the authorities to remove those parked dangerously close to (or overlapping) the junction.

Of perhaps ten calls over the years, maybe five or six were towed away. This is pretty rich considering my flagrant abuse of parking restrictions in my youth.

One evening a young man, almost in tears rang on my bell asking if he could make a call as he thought his car had been stolen. A nice, shiny MkII Scirocco, then still in production. I let him make the call, but said I thought I'd seen it towed. He looked like a very, very stressed man who needed to get home.

I wished I'd had the courage to tell him I'd made the call, but I didn't. Our road was later fenced across as a part of the Tower Hamlets traffic-calming measures... and the dangerous parking lifted with the morning mist.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
2674618 said:
To illustrate quite how deeply engrained car centricity is, have a look at a housing estate where the road is not wide enough for cars to park both sides in the carriageway and people can't turn their front garden into a parking space. What is the common solution? Signs permitting parking half on the pavement.

Even where they have ample driveways they continue to abuse the pavements. Here's a couple I see all the time, about to be the subject of a complaint.

Note the dropped kerbs to the empty driveways.

pavementpark1.jpg

pavementpark2.jpg

GC

MontyVeda

Even where they have ample driveways they continue to abuse the pavements. Here's a couple I see all the time, about to be the subject of a complaint.

Note the dropped kerbs to the empty driveways.

View attachment 29907

View attachment 29908

GC

very considerate bit of parking that... anyone pushing a couple of toddlers in a double buggy is forced to used the road.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
So let's get this straight. Someone chooses to store their personal property in a public space, where people are naturally going to do public outdoor things, like children playing, and then they complain when their stuff is damaged? And the solution is to ban people from playing in public spaces? This is insane, and barbaric.

Top Bottom