3 year old banned from cycling outside of house ... because she might scratch a car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
3 year old banned from cycling because it might scratch all the precious cars.

Mother to get letter informing her of the ban.

Anti cycling, anti children playing, anti exercise for a healthier country. Best way to keep people inside and get fat.

The car rules again above everything else.

http://road.cc/content/news/94079-three-year-old-banned-riding-dagenham-housing-association

A three-year-old girl has been banned from riding her Barbie bike in a quiet cul-de-sac by a Dagenham housing association because of fears the tearaway toddler might damage residents’ cars.

Tracy Osborne-Facey was showing her granddaughter Lilly how to ride with stabilisers when an officer from London and Quadrant (L&Q) housing association told her riding bikes was banned in the street.

Tracy told the Barking and Dagenham Post's Sara Odeen-Isbister that it was one of many “over-the-top” rules enforced in the street by L&Q. The association said it had instituted a “no balls or bikes” policy after complaints from residents who believed their homes and cars could be damaged by children playing outside.

Tracy, 43, said: “I could understand stopping ball games maybe, but they’ve basically banned children from playing outside. But it’s not just the children. We adults are not allowed to congregate or talk outside either. I got a letter once telling me off for chatting to a neighbour outside for about 20 minutes.

“Others have received letters too about all kinds of things which they apparently shouldn’t be doing.

“The officer who told me Lilly couldn’t ride her bike said I should expect a letter about it soon. It’s ridiculous.

“I realise people want to live somewhere peaceful, but the children that play here are all under 12 and not antisocial at all.”

A housing association spokesman said: “L&Q strives to create places where people want to live but unfortunately due to the concern of the local residents we had to enforce a ‘no bikes no ball games’ policy around the area.”

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I know, I read that about an hour ago and was left utterly speechless.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
What if one of us lived in that road, would we have to walk to the end of the street before we could mount our bikes? Or is it just no kids on bikes?

In my road the most noisy things are cars. The guy down the road who starts his diesel taxi at 5am and leaves it to warm up for 15 minutes is the biggest offender.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
3 year old banned from cycling because it might scratch all the precious cars.

Mother to get letter informing her of the ban.

Anti cycling, anti children playing, anti exercise for a healthier country. Best way to keep people inside and get fat.

The car rules again above everything else.

http://road.cc/content/news/94079-three-year-old-banned-riding-dagenham-housing-association

A housing association spokesman said: “L&Q strives to create places where people want to live but unfortunately due to the concern of the local residents we had to enforce a ‘no bikes no ball games’ policy around the area.”

I wouldn't want to live there. I don't think any of my friends would either.
We live in a quiet cul-de-sac, owned partially by a housing association as quite a few have bought their homes. We cycle, the kids cycle. One of the neighbours flies his birds of prey every evening to exercise them. One of the neighbours grazes her daughters pony on the green fairly often. The kids play football, heck the adults play football on the green too. Its a proper community here.

One of the neighbours has a big American car, he is really the only person who makes noise when he is coming or going (not including the stoners next door who have been pretty quiet since the neighbourhood whinged about them).

A good job we don't all get letters when we stand around and chat, the entire area would be deserted as we all do it,

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Just a thought, is this a private road? This cul-de-sac. Just wondering as a bike is technically a mode of transport and I cannot see how you could ban a bike from a public road.

Forty-three and the grandmother of a three-year-old?

Well...... Quite.

What was the article about again?

steve52

I'm back! Yippeee
challenge it,, they have no right to ban her. and it would be unliky to be held up in court, but i dont know the full story so there may be unknown factors, that said it makes me feel very GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRr

Your post made no sense to me, until I looked at ignored content - just Boris spouting unpleasant sh1t again, As you were.

I feel that may be TinyMynewt is competing with herself in terms of how often she tells CC that she's ignoring me and that I'm horrid.

It's a pretty close-run thing, but she seems to be winning at present. And beating herself into second place, which is never easy.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Your post made no sense to me, until I looked at ignored content - just Boris spouting unpleasant sh1t again, As you were.

I've considered an ignore list but on the whole I'd rather do a manual scan/speed read and discount the poster's opinion. Sometimes though I just need to look at the name/avatar. If I do it that way thread as a whole still makes sense.

Not aimed at you though TMN, you're on my 'wish I could distil points so succinctly' list.

Top Bottom