30 mph average?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
iLB

iLB

Hello there
ianrauk said:
Andy, it's bs mate.. Think about it, can you honestly believe you can scoot down the A21 to Hastings in 2 hours at maximum work rate for the complete distance? I Think not.
Which Bike shop was it?

Cycles UK in Tonbridge.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Are they the ones on the high street opposite the castle, or the shop behind the high street whose back door looks out onto the swimming pool/castle car park?

I'd recommend Everndon Cycles in Paddock Wood.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
I have to say I didn't find them very helpful when I went in with an initial enquiry about a recumbent trike ("Oooh, you don't want one of those!"), and seems their speed estimation is a bit dodgy too. Might be fine otherwise, though!

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Orpington to Hastings is 49 miles if you cross the M25 on the B221 - less if you take the M25 spur down to the northern end of the A21, which (many years ago) was do-able. It's not flat on the stretch around Tonbridge, which probably puts it beyond the 2 hour mark for anything other than a really fast club run, but plenty of two up time trials have beaten 2 hours for 50 miles. Maresfield and Uckfield are bypassed these days (actually they've been bypassed for the a while, but I used to go down the A21 in the 70s) so I can't see that the traffic would hold you up.

OP
OP
iLB

iLB

Hello there
dellzeqq said:
Orpington to Hastings is 49 miles if you cross the M25 on the B221 - less if you take the M25 spur down to the northern end of the A21, which (many years ago) was do-able. It's not flat on the stretch around Tonbridge, which probably puts it beyond the 2 hour mark for anything other than a really fast club run, but plenty of two up time trials have beaten 2 hours for 50 miles. Maresfield and Uckfield are bypassed these days (actually they've been bypassed for the a while, but I used to go down the A21 in the 70s) so I can't see that the traffic would hold you up.

But would you then be in any state to turn around and go back at the same pace? as he suggested.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
I personally wouldn't want to cycle down the A21 at all, I think it's a pretty unpleasant road with traffic going far too fast and a fairly rough surface. I think doing it in 2 hours must be nigh on impossible. All those roundabouts around Uckfield don't help either!

Cranky

dellzeqq said:

But that's nowhere near the 30+ mph average referred to in the OP, surely?

Top Bottom