30% off Temple bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Covered on Cycling Weekly.

Temple Cycles

Might be of interest.. they seem to do some nice products and I've always liked the look of the Adventure Disc..

AdventureDiscGRXLunarSandGB.jpg

Almost tempted, however it would be duplicating the Genesis and I'm not keen on some of the component choices throughout the range - which is probably for the best!

All uphill

Still rolling along
Covered on Cycling Weekly.

Temple Cycles

Might be of interest.. they seem to do some nice products and I've always liked the look of the Adventure Disc..

View attachment 708824

Almost tempted, however it would be duplicating the Genesis and I'm not keen on some of the component choices throughout the range - which is probably for the best!

Thanks for that. To me they are a really appealing mixture of traditional with the benefit of modern components.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Thanks for that. To me they are a really appealing mixture of traditional with the benefit of modern components.
No worries and yes; I find that appealing too. I generally love the aesthetics - especially the colours and lugged fork.

Component compatability on the Adventure Disc is certainly well up to current specs (142mm rear axle, flat mount calipers) however none of the formats they offer really hit the spot... the AD2 has mostly 105 but is hamstrung by mechanical discs, while the AD1 gets top-end 11sp GRX, but it's 1x; which puts me off. Also not a huge fan of Hunt wheels..

If I didn't already have the Genesis I think I'd be very tempted however!

I always wonder where the frames are actually made on these , but 30% is a good saving.
Indeed - my suspicion is that like seemingly every other off-the-peg UK steel supplier, they're probably made in Taiwan. Not a problem from a quality perspective, but detracts somewhat from the flag-waving by the manufacturers..

I like the look of Temple bikes but they seem expensive for what they are.
Sadly that seems to be the way of the world now. I think the Adventure Disc 1 looks like reasonable value at the discounted £2k in the context of the market... agree that it's doesn't seem great at the orginal price though.

D

Deleted member 1258

No worries and yes; I find that appealing too. I generally love the aesthetics - especially the colours and lugged fork.

Component compatability on the Adventure Disc is certainly well up to current specs (142mm rear axle, flat mount calipers) however none of the formats they offer really hit the spot... the AD2 has mostly 105 but is hamstrung by mechanical discs, while the AD1 gets top-end 11sp GRX, but it's 1x; which puts me off. Also not a huge fan of Hunt wheels..

If I didn't already have the Genesis I think I'd be very tempted however!

Indeed - my suspicion is that like seemingly every other off-the-peg UK steel supplier, they're probably made in Taiwan. Not a problem from a quality perspective, but detracts somewhat from the flag-waving by the manufacturers..

Sadly that seems to be the way of the world now. I think the Adventure Disc 1 looks like reasonable value at the discounted £2k in the context of the market... agree that it's doesn't seem great at the orginal price though.

Looking though their web site the only one that takes my eye is the single speed, and I'd want that with a flip flop hub so I could convert it to fixed, which might make a frame and a home build more attractive.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I always wonder where the frames are actually made on these , but 30% is a good saving.
Taiwan and Vietnam....
1696495561813.png

Shand cycles do similar "modern steel" as do plenty of other small players.. They assemble them in house in Scotland from Columbus/Dedacciai tubes, and hence they cost more than a Temple!

Taiwan and Vietnam....
View attachment 708833

Shand cycles do similar "modern steel" as do plenty of other small players.. They assemble them in house in Scotland from Columbus/Dedacciai tubes, and hence they cost more than a Temple!

I suspect that some of the gearing components may well be supplied by a Japanese supplier but are actually manufactured in China/Malaysia/etc.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

That's what I thought but still fairly good value I suppose
Tbh I think for a "reasonably priced" off-the-peg "British" bike that's as good as it's going to get. Granted there are other brands who will actually fab the frame in the UK (often to your dims / with a wider range of pre-selectable options), however unsurprisingly these are far more money.

Brands like Genesis and Temple arguably occupy the middle ground between these higher-end bespoke / semi-bespoke true-frame builders and the high-volume brands who either don't do steel, or only entertain the idea for tourers.

Spa cycles Elan mk2 is basically the same thing for 60% the price.
Granted similar to the AD2 but with a full hydro 105 groupset for £1700; so a fair bit cheaper compared to the full price offering from Temple, but comparable / worst value compared to the discounted price.

Tbh all of this seems a bit silly relative to the £1500 I paid for my full-hydro-105-with-a-bit-of-GRX CdF 30 in 2020..

Top Bottom