30 years without a license.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
S

screenman

Legendary Member
Does on mine.

Lonestar

Veteran
[QUOTE 4893994, member: 45"]And that's fine until you have an accident and you're not insured.[/QUOTE]

What's the fine? £50?

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
No licence, so they automatically can't hold insurance. Assuming no other convictions I'd guess at £300ish fine and 6 points on the licence they don't having.

If the unlicensed driver has purchased insurance (and drivers without a licence do - presumably it's more likely to get a pull for no insurance), then the insurer would be obliged to deal with any TP risk in the event of an incident and can then attempt to get any costs back from their policyholder.

midlife

Guru
If the unlicensed driver has purchased insurance (and drivers without a licence do - presumably it's more likely to get a pull for no insurance), then the insurer would be obliged to deal with any TP risk in the event of an incident and can then attempt to get any costs back from their policyholder.

When I insure the car I have to send back a photocopy of my driving licence along with the signed docs.....

Profpointy

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4894121, member: 45"]I've heard of drivers getting insurance on a provisional license, but never heard of anyone getting insurance without a license. Is it possible?[/QUOTE]

A mate of mine rather resembled the driver in question. As a youth he'd been driving unlicenced. Duly took his test; failed, then drove home. Decided not to bother doing another test and drove without licence or problem for the next 30 odd years. Eventually he did have an accident, and was quite rightly busted for no licence though he did have insurancd. As it happens accident was the other guy's fault so hi insurance didn't realle come into it. Was afterwards reduce to l-plates and driving under his wife's supervision. He's got a licence now.

Lonestar

Veteran
No licence, so they automatically can't hold insurance. Assuming no other convictions I'd guess at £300ish fine and 6 points on the licence they don't having.

Sorry I was being sarky,bitter and twisted.:whistle:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
When I insure the car I have to send back a photocopy of my driving licence along with the signed docs.....

I've never had to do that

Edit: correction, had to do that when I had company cars, but never for my own insurance; maybe 35 years's worth for many vehicles and insurance companies

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
When you change insurance companies, do you still have to send the new one a copy of the old no claims certificate? Maybe you only have to provide a copy of a licence the first time round, but anyway I can't ever remember having to do so.

They dont usually insist on your old NCD anymore. However, they can do a spot check and ask for it. I think it is done mainly of you have only been with your present insurer for a year or so.

BrynCP

Über Member
Never had to prove I have a licence.

In fact, I had car insurance without a driving licence. I cannot remember the insurer but they were happy with it. I had to have insurance because I had no option but to park the car on the road so couldn't SORN it; I had to surrender my driving licence because of a medical condition.

NCD proof I find typically depends whether the underwriter remains the same or not - I've switched companies every year.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member

I can't recall ever having to send a copy of my licence to an insurer when taking out a policy. I'm not saying that some insurers don't request it, but I don't think I've ever been asked. I have to provide a copy of my licence and insurance certificate to my employers (I've got business cover on my own car) every year, but never to an insurance company.

[QUOTE 4894121, member: 45"]I've heard of drivers getting insurance on a provisional license, but never heard of anyone getting insurance without a license. Is it possible?[/QUOTE]

Yes, it happens

Drago

Legendary Member
The R.T.A. dictates that you can not hold valid insurance without the relevant licence, irrespective of whether you've bought insurance or not. If you get done for no licence you'll automatically get knocked off for no insurance too.

Its not unknown for people with no licence to buy insurance solely so the vehicle won't ping in ANPR and arouse suspicion.

midlife

Guru
Never had to prove I have a licence.

In fact, I had car insurance without a driving licence. I cannot remember the insurer but they were happy with it. I had to have insurance because I had no option but to park the car on the road so couldn't SORN it; I had to surrender my driving licence because of a medical condition.

NCD proof I find typically depends whether the underwriter remains the same or not - I've switched companies every year.

The new insurance for the Landy arrived today from Keith Michaels Insurance, I'll check if it asks for a copy of my licence...

Top Bottom