30 years without a license.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
The R.T.A. dictates that you can not hold valid insurance without the relevant licence, irrespective of whether you've bought insurance or not. If you get done for no licence you'll automatically get knocked off for no insurance too.

Its not unknown for people with no licence to buy insurance solely so the vehicle won't ping in ANPR and arouse suspicion.

Are really really sure about the first part? If so is it a new thing? I thought insurance companies found it extremely difficult, if not impossible, to wriggle out of 3rd party liability, ergo you'd be insured.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
It is not illegal to insure a car if you only hold a provisional drivers license as long as you only drive the car with a fully licensed driver, who is preferably also a named driver on the policy, and of course as long as you have L plates on the front and back. The insurance will also be cheaper with a named driver on the policy.

Drago

Legendary Member
Are really really sure about the first part? If so is it a new thing? I thought insurance companies found it extremely difficult, if not impossible, to wriggle out of 3rd party liability, ergo you'd be insured.

Very sure. Been sending people to Court for it for near on three decades. If youre driving "otherwise in accordance" (that exact phrase is key) with your licence, such as a learner unaccompanied, or someone with no licence at all driving a car, or a car licence holder driving an LGV, you can not hold valid insurance. You will be knocked off for the insurance offence as well - automatically, without exception. When you build then charge for the former the software
automatically adds the latter unless you cancel it.

Not to be confused with people that do have the correct licence who then drink drive, or speed, use mobile phones etc, who's insurance would still lawfully have to cover the risk.

Read the weasel words in your insurance T&Cs and you'll see that cover is dependent on you having the correct class of licence.

Last edited:

keithmac

Guru
I used to laugh when watching Traffic Police programs, dangerous driving and TWOC etc.

They all had no licence to start with but there "punishment" was suspending their licence for 3 years, you couldn't make it up..

midlife

Guru
The new insurance for the Landy arrived today from Keith Michaels Insurance, I'll check if it asks for a copy of my licence...

Yup, I have to provide photocopies of each driving licence (which I have had to do for the last few years) plus a code from the DVLA to validate the drivers licence. The last bit is new!

Failure to provide will invoke cancellation of the policy ......

toffee

Guru
Yup, I have to provide photocopies of each driving licence (which I have had to do for the last few years) plus a code from the DVLA to validate the drivers licence. The last bit is new!

Are these main stream I insurers. Never had to do that for any motor insurance, including the kids

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Very sure. Been sending people to Court for it for near on three decades.

There's no mention of S143 charge in the BBC I linked to, but that could just be crap reporting. However, that would make the meagre £750 fine for all three offences even more laughable.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

I've only had to give my licence number on a secure web page. Is it only old fogies who have to post photocopies?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
[QUOTE 4893994, member: 45"]And that's fine until you have an accident and you're not insured.[/QUOTE]
:headshake: Usually not an accident. Completely predictable and often avoidable if they were competent.

TVC

I have never had to provide licence details to an insurer, which always seemed strange up until national databases were established where now I assume DVLA make my license and vehicle details accessable to accredited insurers and of course the Police.

Top Bottom