32mm hybrid tyre?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Teggers

Hi all,

I have only ever rode a MTB, and am really unsure about the limitations of 700 wheel tyres. I would like to do cycle paths that are 95% road/tarmac but do have some grass/gravel in places.

I'm really short and limited in the bikes that are stocked in my size (i.e. many of the hybrids available), I have an inside leg of 27"!

I'm considering getting a Triban 520 which is in my size (XS), but as this is a road bike (albeit a flat bar version), I'm unsure of the limitations of the wheels.

Apparently it can fit 32mm's. I'm wondering if anyone here has experience riding light off-road trials, with a bit of gravel on anything 32mm or less. Is this going to cause problems?

I noticed that the Hoy Shizuoka's run 28c's.. but reading on here there are a lot of 35's or greater being used!

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

I use 28's for on-road (winter commuting) and and the odd bit of track and I'd imagine I'm a fair bit heavier than you. 32's would be fine for you, or even 28's.

Hi all,

I have only ever rode a MTB, and am really unsure about the limitations of 700 wheel tyres. I would like to do cycle paths that are 95% road/tarmac but do have some grass/gravel in places.

I'm really short and limited in the bikes that are stocked in my size (i.e. many of the hybrids available), I have an inside leg of 27"!

I'm considering getting a Triban 520 which is in my size (XS), but as this is a road bike (albeit a flat bar version), I'm unsure of the limitations of the wheels.

Apparently it can fit 32mm's. I'm wondering if anyone here has experience riding light off-road trials, with a bit of gravel on anything 32mm or less. Is this going to cause problems?

I noticed that the Hoy Shizuoka's run 28c's.. but reading on here there are a lot of 35's or greater being used!

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
I've got a 520 road bike. You'll never get 32mm tyres on it in a month of Sundays. 28's work well. I'm about to stick some of these on mine.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-marathon-plus-smartguard-rigid-road-tyre/
A bullet proof tyre with loads of grip for trails etc. :thumbsup:

They said you can't put wide tyres on a road bike,grolloks. 700 x x32
DSCF0447.JPG

LocalLad

I've got 30s on mine and they can go fairly off road no problem - gravel bridleways etc. With a32 you'll have no issues.

Think it's more down to the tread than the width

vickster

Legendary Member
I find M+ really slippy on my Whyte in 28mm. Wouldn't be my choice for gravelly surfaces but we all have different experiences. Better if a bit less psi but that slows progress on roads and they are quite slow tyres already. Good for commuting though as puncture resistant when progress is slower with traffic anyhow

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I've ridden 28mm Standard Marathons on the gravelly track out of Keswick on the C2C, and on the sandy singletrack section of NCN72 out of Seascale*.

IMHO M+ are overkill, and the harder rubber makes them less grippy. Punctures in the standard Marathons are rare enough I can't remember my last one.

*Ok I've also done that singletrack on slick 700x23cs, but I have no intention of trying that again!

OP
OP
T

Teggers

Awesome, thanks so much for the feedback. Definitely gives me some idea of what these sort of tyres can do :smile:

Top Bottom