35 years apart 2nd attempt

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dandare

img011.jpg

img012-1.jpg

Two photos taken 35 years apart, both the Sheffield Phoenix C.C open 25 mile Time Trial. The black and white was 1963,me a youth of 16 riding my Mercian. We had ridden the 60 miles to the event the day before carrying the racing wheels on sprint carriers and clothes for the overnight stop in a carradice saddlebag. We stopped in a transport cafe called Walts on the old A1. Note the state of art bar end shifters. Those shorts were wool and the only pair i had. I recorded a time of 1-04-28 and still have the little blue card with my time on it.
The colour photo is me at the grand age of 51 riding my Reynolds frame langdale. I recorded a time of 53-28 giving me 10th position out of a field of 120. Unfortunately it has been steadily down hill from then:laugh:

Attachments

• img011.jpg
    img011.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 38
  • img012-1.jpg
    img012-1.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 40

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
That's great!

How much of the improvement in your time was due to better fitness and how much to more aerodynamic equipment and position, do you reckon?

Oh, and the drafting effect of increased traffic levels?

OP
OP
dandare

dandare

Well I was only 16 during the first ride so I think I would have improved anyway. You are right though, equipment has made a difference and has even moved on loads since that 2nd photo which was 14 years ago. Funnily enough the traffic was very light during that later event cos it started at silly o'clock and I was off quite early.
Even with todays training methods and equipment I think a sub hour 25 is still a good ride.

OP
OP
dandare

dandare

Kinetic-uk. I think if you wait till you think you are ready you never will be.Pinning a number on your back seems to add a couple of mph straight away cos you try that bit harder. Try the local club time trials as they will all be starting soon. Have a go then just set out to improve your pb.

ajb

Kinetic-uk. I think if you wait till you think you are ready you never will be.Pinning a number on your back seems to add a couple of mph straight away cos you try that bit harder. Try the local club time trials as they will all be starting soon. Have a go then just set out to improve your pb.

Very true, just go out and give it a go.......

400bhp

Guru
Stuff like this is one of the things that make cycling the sport/recreational activity it is.

Absolutely great story. :thumbsup:

e-rider

crappy member
wow 65 now

I've heard that it's pretty much imposible to maintain a good level of fitness beyond your late 50s - would you agree? (I'm nearly 36 so these thoughts are beginning to enter my head)!

VamP

Banned
Awesome.

You don't say how you placed in 1963. I suspect 64 something minutes wasn't all that slow back then.

Thanks for sharing.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
wow 65 now

I've heard that it's pretty much imposible to maintain a good level of fitness beyond your late 50s - would you agree? (I'm nearly 36 so these thoughts are beginning to enter my head)!

I have a client at work who did at 21:30 on a ten mile tt aged 65 so although not as fast a some of the young whippets certainly still supremely fit.

OP
OP
dandare

dandare

I really couldn't remember the placing all those years ago. It was my very first 25 mile TT and I think it was won by Dave Bonner who was very fast in those days. In cycling you can certainly keep a good level of fitness into your 50s and beyond. I don't ride open events anymore , to do with cost more than anything else but still compete in club events. I don't worry about my times just race for the fun of it.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Tundra, to dispel that myth, come for a ride with my local 40+ cyclists club (most of whom are 60+ and quite a few 70+) ...

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
wow 65 now

Take a look at the records on the VTTA website.

Riders do start to slow somewhat after 50, it's possible to keep improving- some riders don't reach their potential for various reasons- insufficient time to train, starting the sport late etc. and peak later.

There is no 'magical' age where one day you wake up and start getting slower. You may need to train differently to maintain your race fitness as you get older, but you don't suddenly start to decline on your 50th birthday and it's wrong to suggest otherwise. Anyway, there are still plenty of fast 50-something road racers and TTers around at club/regional level...

Excellent pics and great story, by the way. Dandare - I take my hat off to you - or I would if I was wearing one.. ;)

Top Bottom