3D printers, uses for bikes...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sotal

Regular
Has anyone used a 3D printer to make any tools or bits for bikes?

I was just truing the wheel on my son's bike and thought that there must be a better way. Had a quick look on the internet and found an STL file for a little truing tool. Half an hour later I was using it and it made it so much easier!

I've now got it set printing the tensioner tool for the hollowtech cranks.

Just wondered if anyone else has made anything else useful?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I think @JhnBssll was using one on his recent Brompton project?

Solocle

Über Member
I 3D printed a case for my light battery (old moon light) after the cable disconnected from the battery. So I had to crack apart the old case to resolder things!
1594558753416.png

1594558800358.png

1594558828489.png

1594558853468.png

1594558937455.png

A good dollop of epoxy resin to seal the deal.

JhnBssll

Veteran
I think @JhnBssll was using one on his recent Brompton project?

Yeah, I've got a couple of hobby printers in the garage :okay: I used 3D CAD daily at work for several years too so design my own bits and bobs where needed 😊 We have a big industrial printer in the workshop at work too, ive been messing with FDM printers of one sort or another for about 14 years now :ohmy:

D

Deleted member 26715

Totally OT why are they called printers when they don't print anything?

JhnBssll

Veteran

Good question :laugh: When I started in engineering we knew them as rapid prototype machines, or modellers, but never 3d printers. I wonder if that badge came with their explosion in to the mainstream a few years back 🤔

D

Deleted member 26715

Good question :laugh: When I started in engineering we knew them as rapid prototype machines, or modellers, but never 3d printers. I wonder if that badge came with their explosion in to the mainstream a few years back 🤔
Bet it was some Merkin marketing bod that thought of it

AndyRM

XOXO
Bet it was some Merkin marketing bod that thought of it

Something involving 3D merkin printing sounds a bit risqué.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation

You can call it additive manufacturing which is the preferred use in some circles. This isn't particularly mainstream though. Or particular processes and materials which is more known.

OP
OP
S

sotal

Regular
The only other thing I've got planned at the moment is to make an adapter to hold my rear light in a better position. I have a topeak saddle bag and it restricts the view of the rear light a little.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Coincidentally we had a chappie in this AM, who'd 3D printed a (so it seems) an adaptor bracket, to get a good position for tri-bars
All went well, until it fatigued....................

Please don't 3D, for safety-related items!!
cheap materials fast results . Its what every one wants and will pay good money for .

Top Bottom