3rd Bike v lorry incident in Bristol!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
My stomach feels sick every time I read these headlines:

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/home...y-Bristol/article-1245982-detail/article.html

This time I know the junction well and it was definitely an accident waiting to happen. There is a cycle lane leading down the left hand side of the road which is 2 lanes wide. First lane is left only. The number of cyclists who cycle down that cycle lane to the left of that lane whilst trying to go straight ahead is very large. I either cycle in the middle of the left turning lane or move over into the right hand lane (for straight on). I never ever cycle in that cycle lane. I am usually on my own out in the middle of the road. It is a busy route for cyclists - you can often share the ASL there with a group of them.

I have supported those calling for that cycle lane to be removed because it is dangerous.

And another report of the incident here:
http://bristolcars.blogspot.com/2009/08/bike-under-lorry-on-stokes-croft.html

Looks like leg injuries - not life threatening - I hope she recovers quickly.

Not a good week to be on a bike in Bristol.

Sounds like a very badly designed junction to me. What does tend to surprise me is that motorists seem not to be checking their nearside mirrors. I always have a look before turning left, even more so if I have just passed a cyclist.:eek:

i go through that junction every morning and always make sure i'm on the line between the two lanes, in effect on the right of that lane or the left of the right lane, soon after i pass through the preceding junction. i never use that cycle lane up to the lights because of that turning traffic.

this morning i saw some numpty blazing past me down the inside in that lane, he saw a car indicating to turn left so pedaled furiously to get in front of it, only to be almost left hooked by the car in front of that one, also indicating but who had no chance of seeing him coming, so he rapidly braked and cut right to go round behind him and was almost clouted by the first car he'd tried to pass.

it seems as if some cyclists feel that becuase there is a cycle lane painted on the road, they absolutely have to be in it, no matter what sort of road and junction is coming up ahead.

common sense. nowhere to be found.

Arch

Married to Night Train
There's a junction here in York, with a left turn only lane and an ahead only lane (no right turn). There is a feeder cycle lane in the middle, for the ahead only direction. There is no feeder in the left turn lane. I once saw someone ride along the road, out to the middle into the feeder lane, and then turn left...

You should be able to see the lane here...

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&s...=HtArlzOMBrza6NfWLh2G0A&cbp=12,41.66,,0,31.06

purplepolly

summerdays said:
This time I know the junction well and it was definitely an accident waiting to happen. There is a cycle lane leading down the left hand side of the road which is 2 lanes wide. First lane is left only.

We've got one like that on a one-way street - cycle lane on the left, a left hand turn lane and a right hand turn lane. Bikes and buses can go straight on. Combined with the speed of the traffic (about 40 in a 30) the straight-on was practically impossible to do safely whatever position I took. I tried it for a couple of weeks and then gave up and found another way home. It's a really, really bad design.

Looking at that junction on the link, its extremely badly designed.

1) The paint should be removed and a centre bike path put in instead.
2) Cyclists should not use the existing cycle lane.
3) Drivers should check their inside before committing to the turn.

As 1) and 3) are the responsibility of someone else, perhaps we should take responsibility for our own lives and ride as if 1) existed anyway?

Age old problem though; if you're reading this, you tend to know what you're doing or are learning fast.

The council need to take urgent action to protect those complete novices whose safety this junction design gambles with.

Top Bottom