4 day week

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Well I've gone an done it & work has agreed.
From August I will be working a 4 day week. With a newborn nipper there is not enough weekend to cram in family/cycling/football/gardening and what else you have to do. I'm lucky to be in a position where I can do this. Ok it means a drop in wages, but I can learn to live with that.
I don't want to miss seeing the little one growing up as I did with my first child.

So Friday is going to be Daddy/Son day.

Anyone else do the same or similar?

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Good for you, Ian - wish I could do the same.

potsy

Rambler
Not quite the same but we had an enforced 4 day week last year for a while,got a little bit of pay off the government too for the down day.
Was great to have a 3 day weekend every week,if you can live with the wage cut then I'd say you've done the right thing there mate.
It has been whispered about going on to more flexible shift patterns at work,maybe 4 on 4 off kind of thing,I'd be up for that too.

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Also means not having to rush home on a Friday for the FNRttC :rolleyes:

Aperitif said:
Now your bl00dy bike is going to be even shinier! Good luck Ian - you will not regret this time.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
ianrauk said:
Well I've gone an done it & work has agreed.
From August I will be working a 4 day week. With a newborn nipper there is not enough weekend to cram in family/cycling/football/gardening and what else you have to do. I'm lucky to be in a position where I can do this. Ok it means a drop in wages, but I can learn to live with that.
I don't want to miss seeing the little one growing up as I did with my first child.

So Friday is going to be Daddy/Son day.

Anyone else do the same or similar?

Cool. I worked a four-day week for a long time, but had to give in and go full time because I needed the dosh. It's brilliant, although not quite as brilliant as a three-day week. Enjoy! :rolleyes:

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Work have agreed that if I do want to go back to a 5 day week then I can.
So the option is there.

theclaud said:
Cool. I worked a four-day week for a long time, but had to give in and go full time because I needed the dosh. It's brilliant, although not quite as brilliant as a three-day week. Enjoy! :rolleyes:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'd love too - TBH it's something I'll do once the mortgage is paid off in a few years. Just got to hope my employer may let me...does seem more difficult for blokes to do this.

You lucky lucky boy !!!!

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Well done Ian. That's a sign of healthy mind, relationship and finances. Its all good. As you know, I work varying hours (depends who's asking) with 3 days in the office, and somewhere between 4 and 1 at home.

This is valuable time. Kudos to you.

mark barker

I elected to work from home so i got more time with the kids... Best move I ever made. I'm looking for a new job now, and I'm not going to exceed 30 hours a week, family time is worth far more than an extra few quid.

toekneep

Excellent move. My wife and I have been working four days a week for over two years now and I still wake up on a Saturday morning thinking it is Sunday. I love the moment when reality dawns and I realise I have two more days to play with.

Just moved to a new job with a 9 day fortnight and I'm loving having these Friday's off. Kids in school, wife's working and I feel no guilt in disappearing for 5-6 hours on the bike.

Nice job on the 4 day week, I plan to do the same one day.

Top Bottom