4 prong freewheel removal tools?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PpPete

Legendary Member
I got rid of my last pronged freewheel (and associated tools) years ago, thinking that for the few remaining freewheel equipped bikes I'd only ever use splined (Shimano-style) freewheels.
Which of course has come back to bite me in the proverbials.
I just recently acquired a fixed-free flip-flop hub, built up the wheel, put a Sturmey-Archer single-speed freewheel on it, mentally adding "4-prong tool" to my shopping list as I wound it up tight...
But now I come to buy there seems to be a variety of 4 prong types...
Park website list various manufacturers - but not Sturmey Archer
They have three different models pictured:
FR-3 (4 notches approx 24mm diameter)
FR-6 (4 notches approx 40mm diameter)
FR-8 (4 notches approx 32mm diameter - but has a kind of inner projection which I'm not sure would fit...
So, out with the calipers....
This freewheel measures up at 36mm diameter (on the outside of the ring with the notches, and about 4 or 5 mm less on the inside) so I'm not sure it matches with any of the above.
Googling "Sturmey-Archer freewheel tool" comes up with images of a different beast with a kind of double-depth prongs - but that might just be a device to hold the thing aligned? - and no dimensions.
There also seems to be "Cyclo" branded ones which appear similar in shape to the FR-6 - but no dimensions given....

Any advice from the assembled wisdom on which tool to buy?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I had one of those but it was eaten by a big cat. It was a four point tool eater jaguar. Geddit? four point too .. oh never mind.

No I don't have any useful advice, sorry.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The Shimano BMX freewheels (you don't have to use them on a BMX...) take the Cyclo BMX freewheel remover. This is probably the most common 4-prong type. Measuring mine, the ID of the dogs is 31.5mm, the OD of the dogs is 40mm and each dog is 8mm long. This is with digital vernier calipers so should be accurate.

SA make their own tool which fits any freewheel they currently make:

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Freewheel-Remover-removal-Sturmey-Archer/dp/B014WJANR4

Last edited:

rdone

So, out with the calipers....
This freewheel measures up at 36mm diameter (on the outside of the ring with the notches, and about 4 or 5 mm less on the inside) so I'm not sure it matches with any of the above.

PpPete - Did you ever find the tool you needed? I also need a four prong tool about 36mm OD. See attached pic.

midlife

Guru
That's an odd looking freewheel, do you need to take the small cogs off to expose some splines like a Maillard?

rdone

That's an odd looking freewheel, do you need to take the small cogs off to expose some splines like a Maillard?
No, I need to take the outer lockring off so I can get my pin spanner into the the pin holes (6 and 12 o'clock) to disassemble, clean, and re-grease the two sets of bearings. This guy disassembles an identical setup using random bits, but I would rather use proper tools if possible.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8tZUS6bq6U

Ajax Bay

Guru
[OT] Why can't you take the left locknut/cone off and slide the axle out, to gain sufficient access to service the hub bearings? Or are you trying to service the freewheel bearings - a 'stretch target'?

Last edited:
Reactions: C R

rdone

I am going to service the freewheel bearings. It will not be more difficult than servicing the hub bearings. Perhaps more tedious, but not more difficult.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Last time I did one, I used SA internal hub grease. This is just sticky enough to hold 96 balls in place but won't stick the pawls down. Fiddly, though.

OP
OP
PpPete

PpPete

Legendary Member
PpPete - Did you ever find the tool you needed? I also need a four prong tool about 36mm OD. See attached pic.
I bought the tool linked above by milkfloat - but TBH I've not tried it out yet, not even opened the packet.
I fitted the freewheel, but I've been using the fixed cog on t'other side ever since.
Just measuring it now I do wonder whether it will fit....It's 40mm outside diameter

Top Bottom