4 prong freewheel removal tools?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rdone

Just to follow up in case anyone else goes down this road, I made a tool out of a 15/16" socket as described by 70sSanO at https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-mechanics/1021041-sunrace-cassette-lock-ring-tool.html by cutting out notches to match the lock ring. It fits perfectly and the lock ring came right off. Now on to the lock ring requiring the pin spanner and everything that lurks beneath.

Also, the Park FR-8 does not fit because the tool inner ring is same diameter as the freewheel inner ring that accepts the Park FR-1.3, so the FR-8 tool is not able to mate up with the lock ring notches. It might be possible to grind off the FR-8 inner ring so that it could fit the lock ring, but it made more sense to sacrifice a $5 tool than a $15 tool.

Last edited:
I got rid of my last pronged freewheel (and associated tools) years ago, thinking that for the few remaining freewheel equipped bikes I'd only ever use splined (Shimano-style) freewheels.
Which of course has come back to bite me in the proverbials.
I just recently acquired a fixed-free flip-flop hub, built up the wheel, put a Sturmey-Archer single-speed freewheel on it, mentally adding "4-prong tool" to my shopping list as I wound it up tight...
But now I come to buy there seems to be a variety of 4 prong types...
Park website list various manufacturers - but not Sturmey Archer
They have three different models pictured:
FR-3 (4 notches approx 24mm diameter)
FR-6 (4 notches approx 40mm diameter)
FR-8 (4 notches approx 32mm diameter - but has a kind of inner projection which I'm not sure would fit...
So, out with the calipers....
This freewheel measures up at 36mm diameter (on the outside of the ring with the notches, and about 4 or 5 mm less on the inside) so I'm not sure it matches with any of the above.
Googling "Sturmey-Archer freewheel tool" comes up with images of a different beast with a kind of double-depth prongs - but that might just be a device to hold the thing aligned? - and no dimensions.
There also seems to be "Cyclo" branded ones which appear similar in shape to the FR-6 - but no dimensions given....

Any advice from the assembled wisdom on which tool to buy?
I have a SA tool, can confirm OD of 36mm. As said, the inner prongs are for allignment.

mjuarezm

I'm dealing with a freewheel that looks very similar to the one in the picture that @rdone posted. Any advice on how to remove it? Thanks.

Top Bottom