40 and learning to ride...!!??!!?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
S

SeanNW6

Hey everyone,

Well I had a good session on my next trip out and I managed to cycle fairly comfortably along a straight line for about 100 metres or so.
So am feeling very encouraged and looking forward to my next trip out which will be tomorrow morning.
I have some way to go and plan to spend the new few sessions still in the car park which I've been using.
Plan now is to work on steering corners and using my brakes.
Am hoping my bike riding skills will develop over the coming days.
There is a much larger public car park near me, which I plan to visit over the next few days. It was a longer, steeper slope to overcome and generally, a bigger test of my bike handling skills.

Thanks for the offer Rich. Will certainly be in touch with you shortly.
Think I'm a few weeks away from tackling the roads. I do plan to tackle the pavements during my early morning run soon. I know many have a poor view of pavement riding, but will ensure it will be done during the early mornings, when there are few pedestrians around.
I certainly intend getting some professional training before hitting the roads alone.

A few early observations from a new rider:
- Am pretty sore from riding on my saddle; am wearing padded shorts, but think my backside is a little shocked at what is going on...!!
- Also cycling is proving to be pretty tiring, which is v welcome. Think it's going to be great for losing a few pounds.
- Funny, but I am noticing the road cyclist more than ever before. Guess this is an obvious point, but am not observing cyclists more in terms of their riding style, their clothes and the different kinds of bikes......all v exciting.

Anyway, will keep you posted.........thanks again for all your messages.

Sean

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
It takes a little while for your bottom to become accustomed to the saddle, and also it won't be set at the optimum height for cycling yet ... but it sounds as if you are progressing well - congratulations.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Well done!:thumbsup:

With regard to getting road practice - are there any areas near you that are residential estates with quiet roads? On an early morning session, you could probably find a few roads that were very quiet, to treat almost like a test track. (Although, I realise being in London there might not be a quiet area). The main thing you need for being on the road is the ability to ride in a confident predictable line. Practice this first on the carpark, treating the lanes between the parking spaces as the road. You can also practice signalling and so on, once you're getting on ok.

Once you've conquered the basic skill of balancing and turning the pedals, you're over the hardest single step - from here on, it's just practice, confidence and taking advice...

bauldbairn

summerdays said:
It takes a little while for your bottom to become accustomed to the saddle

+1, a couple of weeks and you won't even notice it - honest! :blush:

Muddyfox said:
Well done Sean it sounds like your doing great

+1.

Keep up the good work Sean. :smile:

Rich P's offer is a good one - very sensible! :welcome:

wanda2010

Guru
Hi Sean

Congratulations on learning to ride at your age. I was 42 when I first got on a bike. Even with two cycle training lessons, wobbling on pavements (early morning) and a few rides in the park, it was another 2 and a bit years before I decided to commute to work. That was the best way for me to get my courage up and it helped that drivers took pity on me during my occasional panic attack (sometimes, being a woman is a blessing :-) ).

Now at the 'younger' age of 47, I've improved a lot and learnt lots of new things. I still get scared at times, but a lot less than before.

You're doing great. Keep it up!

OP
OP
S

SeanNW6

Thanks for your continuing messages of support.

Feeling more and more confident now.
Just feel like I need the hours under my belt and to trust myself and my bike to a greater degree.
Am mastering steering around corners now and have enrolled with my council for some adult cycling lessons.
Hopefully, in a few weeks, I'll have the courage and confidence to tackle the roads during the early mornings.

One good things is that I've secured the use of a bike shed for a year, at a cost of only £30. I expected to pay more than that. My flat is too small really to store my bike.

I have taught a few lets say mature people to ride a bike - I find once you get to the point that they get to the point that they can balance OK - then learning to stop and and start so that is an automatic process is important -important on the road as you need to be able to give your full concentration to observe what is going on around you - followed being able to ride slowly with confidence - a lot of things like looking behind and signaling are relatively easy at pace but not so easy to do when going very slowly - it is worth just spending a little time in a car park practicing these basic skill - just build up the confidence - riding on a reasonably well used used flat well surfaced cycle trail helps to develop anticipation and interaction with other users

I never had any formal cycle training - in fact the cycle profficiency test I took was one of those turn up and do it jobs (passed OK) - but when I was younger there was not so much traffic about and people seemed to be more careful around cyclists - A good cycling course will teach you more than just being able to weave between cones - road position, observation and anticipation are the key to safe cycling

Arch

Married to Night Train
SeanNW6 said:
Thanks for your continuing messages of support.

Feeling more and more confident now.
Just feel like I need the hours under my belt and to trust myself and my bike to a greater degree.
Am mastering steering around corners now and have enrolled with my council for some adult cycling lessons.
Hopefully, in a few weeks, I'll have the courage and confidence to tackle the roads during the early mornings.

One good things is that I've secured the use of a bike shed for a year, at a cost of only £30. I expected to pay more than that. My flat is too small really to store my bike.

Well done! You're on the way alright....:sad:

Your flat is too small to store a bike? You should see mine, and there are two in it!;)

StuartG

slower but further
Muddyfox said:
I've just listened to a podcast that was talking about older people learning to cycle ...
Shame on you! This guy has 50 years to get a handle on bike riding before he needs battery power and a trike.

So he is starting a titch bit late - but 40 is the prime of life when many new runners achieve their best marathon times. Biking is not as arduous and more enjoyable. As in all things begin gently and progress slowly giving the body and brain time to develop. Hang in and you will be amazed you how a sedentary couch potato can become a passable athlete. And the bathroom mirror (full length recommended) will rapidly become your friend. If only young ladies could admire us as much ...

betty swollocks

large member
What a great thread!
Just want to add my support and compliment you and other posters for the excellent advice and encouragement given.

Top Bottom