40 and learning to ride...!!??!!?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Arch said:
Welcome!

You've got the right idea. To teach a kid, and it's the same for adults, the best way is to take the pedals off (just to stop them clunking your legs), lower the saddle so that you can get both feet down flat, and scoot along. Start by just walking the bike along, and very soon you'll find you are 'running' - and with every pace you are lifting your feet up and learning to balance the bike for that split second - and steer and use the brakes. All the split seconds add up in your mind as experience. Pretty soon you'll find you can lift the feet for longer on each stride, and freewheel along. When you're happy with that, re-fit the pedals, and scoot off, and you'll find it comes naturally to pedal. if you can find an area with a very slight gradient, it helps with momentum on the freewheeling (but make sure you can brake! Keep the brake levers covered with your fingers for easy use)

I taught a middle aged guy that way, he mastered it in under an hour - it may take longer, but work at your own pace.

If you can't get the pedals off (it may require a slimmer spanner than you have), you can scoot with them on, you just have to watch your shins and calves and stick your feet out a bit further.

Once you can physically ride the bike, that's just the beginning - I would also recommend adult training to get you confident on the roads.

You can of course be taught the scooting method at a class, but I'd suggest giving it a go first on your own, you might find you pick it up very quickly.

Go for it. But beware. It can be addictive....:cry:

+ 1

I've helped a couple of older children learn this way. Saddle down nice and low so that you confidently reach the ground then just push yourself along with your feet. You get the feel of the bike and see if you can lift off with both feet at the same time - without trying to put them on the pedals at first.

Good luck

itchyrider

Aka Chris
SeanNW6 said:
Right my first post here, and let's get to the hub of the issue.

For whatever reason, I never learned to ride a bike when I was younger, and now I want to learn.

Just bought a second hand mountain bike and now determined to learn to ride asap.

My aim is to get up early in the morning....v v early.....and go to my local park. Intend on working on my balance. Just pushing myself down a gentle slope, lowering my seat and trying to maintain balance. This will allow me to use my dragging feet to maintain balance. When I think I have the instinctive feel to balance, I will start working the pedals.

Does this sound a realistic aim to you guys??

How long do you predict it will take me to learn to ride?

Thanks for your time.
What slope are we talking about here? I know NW6?????= park??:cry:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Just a couple of degrees off flat will do, as long as it maintains the momentum you gain by scooting with your feet.

Mistygoth

I'm 33 and apart from riding a cheap catalogue bike twice when I was a teenager, i've never really ridden. Got a good deal on a use Marin bike through a guy at work and have been trying it out. Scary as hell, and the journey fetching it from work to home took forever as I fell off a few times and then chickened out and walked. Am ok on the local park on grass and quiet roads but not very good at turning in smaller places, am ok for big sweeping curves though. I really want to get better and have a summer riding about (when I don't fancy the walking) Its good to know I'm not the only learner! Even falling into my neighbours hollybush and grazing my knees didn't dampen my enthusiasm. best tip I can offer is to ride little and often until you get used to it!

Arch

Married to Night Train
Globalti said:
Welcome and congratulations on your decision to get fit. You will find it hard at first but with the bike set up correctly it won't be long before you're feeling better and better. Do bear in mind that a lot can be adjusted on a bike and if you're unhappy about anything, it can be changed.

I don't want to over-complicate things for you but to balance a bike you will realise that you actually have to steer in order to displace the front wheel and then the whole bike from underneath you. To turn left you actually start by steering right briefly in order to induce a left lean to the bike! Look at the tyre marks left by a bike and you'll see how this works.

It would really help if you could find an experienced cyclist to take a hard look at you and check your position on the bike. You will also need some clothing including gloves and helmet and of course a good lock if you plan to leave the bike anywhere at all. Buy a plastic water bottle and a bottle cage for the frame if there isn't already one fitted.

The highlighted bit may be true, but the OP doesn't need to know. No child learns by understanding that, and no adult needs to know either - you get the feel for it, and you do it. Try too hard to understand, and it'll all go pearshaped.

+1 on bike set up and changing anything that doesn't suit, but first things first. Let's not upgrade before we can pedal....;)

bauldbairn

Mistygoth said:
I'm 33 and...I've never really ridden. Its good to know I'm not the only learner!

Good luck learning to ride your bicycle Mistygoth. :biggrin:
There have been a few new "older" riders on these forums over the last year, so neither of you are on your own. :eek:

earth

I still remember something of learning to ride as a kid. I don't think I took the pedals off and riding in a straight line was not too difficult because once moving, you stay upright. But I did find turning corners difficult. Eventually I realised if you want to turn left you actually lean right first then lean/steer left.

bauldbairn

perplexed said:
How did it go Sean?

+1, Well! ;)

OP
OP
S

SeanNW6

Hello everyone

Thanks so much for your words of support and encouragement, not least the advice.
Due to the pressures of work, I've only managed one outing with my bike.

Got up early on Wed morning and been v lucky in finding a good place to learn.
Is a car park, which is sheltered from the road and has a gentle slope of about 50ft or so.
It means the only people who can see my frantic attempts at balancing are the car owners and people in overlooking flats looking out of their windows.
However, my cunning plan was to get up at 6am to ensure there are very few people around.....;)

I spent 45mins going down this slope and by the end of that time, I was managing to freewheel for 5-6 seconds, so that has encouraged me.
I would have spent longer, but the rain started to come down.
Am staying at home during Easter and plan to spend an hour each morning in that car park and hope to build up my confidence.
Hoping that by next Tuesday, I will have managed some peddling, if only for a short while.

Am a pretty fit person, who has run several marathons. I can get a little bored of running and that is why I'm determined to get cycling this summer.

Once I'm up and cycling and feeling more confident, I'm going to enrol on a cycling class and purchase lights for my bike and a helmet.
Then I will get out and tackle the roads.

Will keep you all posted. Thanks again for all your messages.

Sean

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Well Done. At first don't try pedalling - literally put your feet onto the pedals and freewheel. And if you have only been going in a straight line up till now, try turning the handlebars by a very small amount whilst freewheeling. There is no rush - do it at what ever pace suits you.

bauldbairn

Well done Sean - Isn't there a path or park somewhere nearby that will allow you to freewheel for longer than 50ft? As Summerdays says you want to get your feet up onto the pedals next and try some turning.

Anyway keep up the good work. :biggrin:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Sean, my son runs adult cycle classes for learners in Islington. I don't know if you are eligible but I'd be happy to put you in touch if you like. He may be able to help with roadcraft once you can do the basics. PM me if you're interested.

Top Bottom