40 mile commute...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
The last entry was written by her friend ('S'), who does appear to do just that. However our heroine (Rosie) heads off for a hard day at the office.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Thanks Jim, I thought I'd lost the plot a little there.

Wow Rosie..."S" is proper hardcore!!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Nice one. good reading. It's great that your partner makes the effort to cycle all that way with you just to turn round and head back home.

OP
OP
patheticshark

patheticshark

That's right. People keep saying 'aw that's so romantic' but actually he just doesn't want me doing more miles than him ;)

I'll pass on the very professional comment, he'll be delighted!

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
patheticshark said:
That's right. People keep saying 'aw that's so romantic' but actually he just doesn't want me doing more miles than him ;)

I'll pass on the very professional comment, he'll be delighted!

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: typical bloke

bartekorcz

25 miles - timing

Hi, i have got question about the time.
I am planing to commuting 25 miles each way from Welwyn Garden City to Morgate (London), how long it should take me each way?
I have hybrid bike Giand CRS3, but with thinner 28mm tyres

OP
OP
patheticshark

patheticshark

bartekorcz said:
I am planing to commuting 25 miles each way from Welwyn Garden City to Morgate (London), how long it should take me each way?

Depends how fast you ride?

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
bartekorcz said:

On the inbound route,I would allow yourself 90 to 105 mins to start with (it 's not too hilly) with the biggest hill being around potters bar
Untitled-1copy.jpg

I would think tho that eventually you will settle at around 1 hour and 15-20 mins.

going home will be slower as you will need to climb nearly all of the height up to potters bar (although this is only 300 feet or so, so nothing too worrying)

I run just under 20 miles at 1 hour and 5 mins as an average (although going home take a little longer as it more uphill....just like you!)

oh, and welcome!

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
bromptonfb said:
how come the blog is locked?

I was about to post the exact same question.

Jonny Jeez : what route planner created that image? I've used google maps but that doesn't provide elevation data and I'm currently using MapMyRide but the interface is woeful.

buggi

Bird Saviour
patheticshark said:
Nothing hefty. Lock, tools, change of clothes, lightweight towel - should fit in a saddlebag.

I'll be doing it fixed.

haven't read all the answers so don't know if this has been suggested, or is an option. my commute is 46 miles round trip and my work have supplied me with a locker. I store my bike lock at work in the bike shed so i don't have to carry it. Sometimes i drive, and on those days i take about 5 days worth of clothes in, leave my towel and shower stuff at work. that way i only have to carry my phone, purse and ipod on the bike and it makes a massive difference.

This is cheeky but don't buy your ticket on the way home at the station, wait til you get on the train and get one from the ticket collector. with any luck you'll get a cheeky free train ride sometimes when the ticket collector doesn't come around. :wacko:

dog_film

45 miles a day, 5 days a week should be fine but, as it's 40 in one hit you may have to look at food intake. I commuted 20 miles each way and didn't need to breakfast first in the morning. But I would flag after 30 miles without food and fluid intake.

Personally I've set my commuting limit at 30 miles each way and not sure I could do that for 5 days. I base the 30 on what I can do without bonking and also keeping it to a 2 hour trip.

If I was to choose an ideal commute then I'd say 15-18 miles each way would be it. Gives you a good work out but not far enough to be demoralising in bad weather.

Hello there.

Very interested in your commute. Recently started job 20 miles one way and am determined to ride all week. So far its tough. Yes there are showers. Its a great and varied route, with hills, descents and some technical. Yes its quite a distance for no spring chicken. Yes it has its dangers (doesn't riding anywhere have this now?) Never seem to have enough food. Starting off two days a week to build from there. Have a decent bike, kit, lights and attitude. Everyone I know is saying its not possible which makes me want ot do this all the more.
Any hints or tips?

Top Bottom