40 Mile Round Trip Commute. £1000 to spend. All Year. Suggestions..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AhThisFeckinThing

Hello All, my bike is for the knackers yard and its time to dig deep into the cycle to work scheme. I commute all year round, going from about 20 miles a day, now going up to 40 miles under new contract. All road, in all weathers. Also go out sometimes doing 40-60 mile rides on days off. That may change. Any suggestions for my new 'WonderBike'?

The Boardman Team - just don't have it built by Halfords!

fossala

Guru
Genesis equilibrium 20 if you can strech to 1.1k the 10 if you can't. It can take wide tyres for the winter and mudguards. It's very comftable but you can throw down some speed on it.

If you need panniers I would go for the croid de fer.

OP
OP
AhThisFeckinThing

AhThisFeckinThing

The Boardman Team - just don't have it built by Halfords!
Genesis equilibrium 20 if you can strech to 1.1k the 10 if you can't. It can take wide tyres for the winter and mudguards. It's very comftable but you can throw down some speed on it.

If you need panniers I would go for the croid de fer.
Both bikes I haven't even considered. How would the Genesis be on the hills, would steel be heavier but smoother?
Agreed with the Boardman, so many happy bike owners and not so happy Halfords servicing owners!
It is another to consider, so will definitely look at both. It is difficult as I still want that nippy little road bike for the days off in the summer. I had a Specialized Secteur Comp before this, so it is a balancing act.

fossala

Guru
Both bikes I haven't even considered. How would the Genesis be on the hills, would steel be heavier but smoother?
Agreed with the Boardman, so many happy bike owners and not so happy Halfords servicing owners!
It is another to consider, so will definitely look at both.
Weight isn't everything, but you are looking at around 10kg for the equilibrium. I do a 10 mile commute in 30mins, one day I put around 20kg of books in my pannier bags for a laugh, took me 3 mins longer! The cycling industry is so focused towards weight, this is because it's driven by racing. We are not racers and even if we where, it would be like an rally racer driving around in a rally car all day, it's not practical.

fossala

Guru
I don't see why people can't just put their recommendation in and let the OP make the decision! Ultimately it's their choice!
Everyone can, but this is a forum (discussion board). I'm sure the OP wants opinions, otherwise he would just look at a list of bike names.

It is another to consider, so will definitely look at both.
Only suggested the Boardman based on the distances you're considering going. If you're doing a 40 mile daily commute and then thinking of doing 60 miles other days you probably want something light with a decent spec. Boardmans are good value for money and I know from 1st hand experience that the components will take year round hammer with a semi-decent cleaning ritual. The only thing with the Boardman is no rack option (so it would be rucksack for work gear etc...) and raceguards. If you want other options for carrying luggage then the Boardman wouldn't be your best choice.

Everyone can, but this is a forum (discussion board). I'm sure the OP wants opinions, otherwise he would just look at a list of bike names.
You comment helped his cause how? It was just a gripe about people putting in "road bike" recommendations with me copied in? Why not start a new topic about "Why do people recommend road bikes when people want commuting bike recommendations" if you want to discuss that? Then the OP will get the suggestions he wants without the distraction of someone wanting to discuss a separate topic!

fossala

Guru
I don't underestimate the boardman being a good bike for the price. I do question your thoughts on how much 1kg will save in effort. You also state that if you want to go longer go lighter, I think if you want to go on longer rides you end up getting a more laid back road bike. Why do you think that audax rides don't normally ride CF racing jobbies?

fossala

Guru
You comment helped his cause how? It was just a gripe about people putting in "road bike" recommendations with me copied in? Why not start a new topic about "Why do people recommend road bikes when people want commuting bike recommendations" if you want to discuss that? Then the OP will get the suggestions he wants without the distraction of someone wanting to discuss a separate topic!
That is a good idea!

OP
OP
AhThisFeckinThing

AhThisFeckinThing

If I had as much passion and energy as you guys I wouldn't even be bothered in the type of bike, it would get there by itself!!
^_^
I put the word road bike as a general term as I did not want hybrid, mountain etc. All opinions are fine for me as it helps to see it from more angles. This forum helped me last time to get what was right for me then and with my new changes hopefully I'll get the right bike again:bicycle:

Top Bottom