40 Mile Round Trip Commute. £1000 to spend. All Year. Suggestions..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

VamP

Banned
It's weight, position, rolling resistance.

@OP - I think the Dolan range has a lot of options within budget for you. There are two carbon bikes (with and without mudguards) or if you can salvage any componentry from your existing, get the Tuono frameset and upgrade over time. I guarantee that will put a smile on your face every time you ride or just look at it.

OP
OP
AhThisFeckinThing

AhThisFeckinThing

Latest update. I have sorted a winter commute for free. So I am looking for the light summer/dry ha ha commute bike. It has to be useable for the club type rides 50-100 miles etc. My choices that I have as per the c2w scheme are..
Focus Culebro SL 2 999.00
Focus Culebro SL 3 899.00
Felt Z85 925.00
Felt F75 1175.00
Boardman Road Team Bike 999.00

Theses are my choices, any help?

True dat!!!

I can just about maintain a 25mph average over a short TT, but on the commute I'm doing well to get much over 20 with lights, traffic and luggage.

Kudos.

that's not bad, I struggle to get around to 15mph, my time to work is around 1hr 20mins and that's for around 18 miles

Good morning

I used to do a 34 miles round trip, and if I were buying a new bike for this journey, I would be considering running costs as well as bike costs.

I used to get 1,500 miles out of 700x23 rear tyre and 2,000 on the front. It seems that all the 23 tyres on sale have very little rubber on them to wear out, whereas there are 28 or 32 tyres available with a decent amount of rubber/life.

Is your new route going to take you along roads in need of maintenance, I struggled with pot holes and pinch flats and couldn’t fit anything bigger than 25s.

At £1K it is likely that you will end up with 10 speed, there is a lot of debate and noise about component life, but if you turn out to be one of the unlucky people you could be getting through a chain every 6 weeks and possibly two or three cassettes a year.

What about going for a cheap bike with something like the Claris group set, at this price you get 8 speed and lots of steel, harder wearing and longer life?

You will even get rack eyes in case you decide to try a rack, I went from a rucksack to a rack and it made the journey much more pleasant. I know someone using a Halfords Carrera Vanquish and it is performing very well, even though it has a steel fork and is very unsexy.

Bye

Ian

400bhp

Guru
If I didn't need to carry much... I.e. just something light in a small rucksack that you barely notice then the world is your oyster.

Clip on guards can go on virtually anything so you don't even need to be fussy about eyelets or clearance.

I'd go for something very light and very fast to make the long journey as pleasant as possible.

Get the best frame you can... Components are neither here nor there because you'll be replacing them once a year anyway.

SRAM rival is very good on a budget. I can barely tell the difference between the rival and red shifters.
I couldn't tell you about shifter quality on lower models of Shimano or campag.
I mention the shifters because they will obviously last where the drive train won't.

What bikes do you like the look of that you're considering?

Pretty much agree with this, although I'd baulk at the clip on guards. For me, clip ons are a compromise for a weekend bike, not for a full on commuter. I used to commute on a bike with SKS raceblades and/or Crud Roadracers. They are both fine, but I just found them annoying-they need a fair bit of faffing with fairly often and I find cleaning the bike with them on isn't particularly easy. I'm a bit heavy handed and a clean bike would often then mean rubbing guards.

However (and it's a big however) I bought an additional "winter" bike that had eyelets. If I had one bike that was commuting and leisure I tend to agree with lejogger.

400bhp

Guru
Good morning

I used to do a 34 miles round trip, and if I were buying a new bike for this journey, I would be considering running costs as well as bike costs.

I used to get 1,500 miles out of 700x23 rear tyre and 2,000 on the front. It seems that all the 23 tyres on sale have very little rubber on them to wear out, whereas there are 28 or 32 tyres available with a decent amount of rubber/life.

Is your new route going to take you along roads in need of maintenance, I struggled with pot holes and pinch flats and couldn’t fit anything bigger than 25s.

At £1K it is likely that you will end up with 10 speed, there is a lot of debate and noise about component life, but if you turn out to be one of the unlucky people you could be getting through a chain every 6 weeks and possibly two or three cassettes a year.

What about going for a cheap bike with something like the Claris group set, at this price you get 8 speed and lots of steel, harder wearing and longer life?

You will even get rack eyes in case you decide to try a rack, I went from a rucksack to a rack and it made the journey much more pleasant. I know someone using a Halfords Carrera Vanquish and it is performing very well, even though it has a steel fork and is very unsexy.

Bye

Ian

You're buying the wrong tyres then.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks

Yes I did this with Vredestein Fortezza Tricomps. I got around 700 miles out of them and needed changing badly. I have now got Vittoria Rubino tyres for around a third of the price. I can't tell any difference at all in rolling and all that carry on or the speed I ride. Must be better than the shite I had, cannot be any worse.

Albert

Über Member
Charge Juicer - very, very comfortable and surprisingly racey - lovely frame - lighter than the equivalent Genesis. Mine weighs 10.2 kilos with mudguards/cages/pump/pedals - decent components for the price - full mudguards - distinctive and timeless look - worth upgrading as you develop your love affair with it.
Mine is a joy to ride in all weathers.

Good morning,

I tried a number of tyres, including Continental Gatorskins and Ultra Sports, Schwalbe Blizzard sport lasted for about 900 on the rear, Halfords own brand gave the best mileage!

Most of the miles were on chip and bitumen roads where a lot of the bitumen had worn away leaving lots of sharp chip edges to wear away the tyre.

The bike was a Ribble 531 with a very aggressive geometry which wouldn't take a 28 tyre, in other words a race bike not a commuter one.

Bye

Ian

Agreed. I currently have 2600 miles on a set of Durano Plus and they look like they have a few more miles in them yet. Roll along not too badly either so would make a good commuting tyre.
Good morning,

I appreciate that it is easy to get tyres with a longer life, but it is much harder to get a lower cost per mile. A quick search comes up with a price for the Duranos as twice that of the Ultrasport.

Bye

Ian

Top Bottom