40 Years Young

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
My Ma had one of ghe original 10 valvers. Quite a machine in its day.

gbb

Legendary Member
I knew a guy who knew a guy who had one. Apparently it had a simple 'economy' display. green to red so the driver could see how it was performing. He put some insulating tape over the display, got fed up of seeing it in the red :laugh:

Chris S

Legendary Member
Gene Hunt drove one of these in 'Ashes to Ashes'. What the scriptwriters didn't realize was that in the 1980s our patriotic police always bought British. Not only that but CID cars were really easy to spot because they didn't have a dealer's stick in the back window.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Not only that but CID cars were really easy to spot because they didn't have a dealer's stick in the back window.
Not that easy in the Strathclyde area. They had Telecom vans, Scottish Gas vans, black hackneys, and just about anything else that might not attract attention! Nowadays the mainstream CID vehicles have "POLICE" in giant lettering along the sides - and front and back. What a genius idea :wacko:, all in the name of reassuring the public with highly visible Policing.

This one is for sale near me at £50k but some low milers are double that!

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Not that easy in the Strathclyde area. They had Telecom vans, Scottish Gas vans, black hackneys, and just about anything else that might not attract attention! Nowadays the mainstream CID vehicles have "POLICE" in giant lettering along the sides - and front and back. What a genius idea :wacko:, all in the name of reassuring the public with highly visible Policing.
And at one time they had a couple of Hillman Imps to patrol Loch Lomondside. Popularly known as Pinky and Perky.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
To my mind, the slightly later Quattro, more curved (Coupe) version, is one beautiful looking car.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
One had been all blue, the other all white. They just swapped the doors, bonnets and boots over to make panda cars.
You may be right but to my memory they were identical. It was a long time ago but I do remember some of their extra curricular activities:blush:

Chris S

Legendary Member
You may be right but to my memory they were identical. It was a long time ago but I do remember some of their extra curricular activities:blush:
I can't remember where I read it but this site says the same thing, "... the two Imps used by the Dunbartonshire Constabularly in 1967: GSN 840E and GSN 860E. The force bought a blue and a white Imp and swapped panels."
https://www.imps4ever.info/misc/police.html

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I can't remember where I read it but this site says the same thing, "... the two Imps used by the Dunbartonshire Constabularly in 1967: GSN 840E and GSN 860E. The force bought a blue and a white Imp and swapped panels."
https://www.imps4ever.info/misc/police.html
Seems you are correct.
The Superintendent must have been quite junior when he drove them and was not part of the initial crew. There was one alleged incident when Pinky got bogged down in Glen Douglas and was unable to radio to Perky for assistance as he should not have been there on an alleged deer shooting expedition. He had to walk to the bottom at Loch Lomondside to get assistance. Unfortunately Perky when arrived to tow him out also got bogged down. Ooops.:ohmy:

Chris S

Legendary Member
That seems familiar, I'm beginning to think that I heard it on a radio or TV programme rather than reading it on the internet.

Drago

Legendary Member
For all the hallowed talk of the UR and WR Quattro, my Integrale was a better car...sometimes for as long as 10 minutes at a time. Much quicker, much better handling, better brakes, 5 door practicality. I'm not a car man and never have been one for getting moist over a tin box, but I think I could make an exception and excuse myself for the Inter.

Last edited:
Top Bottom