40t Mtb Cassette on a road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bondirob

Just fitted using a Lindarets road link.
I was amazed at how well it shifts as I'd heard the gaps between the sprockets were different on mtb cassettes.
I did fit a spacer behind the cassette also.
Can't wait to try it out on the steep stuff.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The spacing is the same (if by the same manufacturer) it's the mech's that differ, specifically the cable 'pull ratio' of the shifters to the derailleur.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The gaps in ratios are usually different. The actual gaps between the sprockets are the same.
Mind you Shimano do throw the odd 'curveball' into this with some 'Dura-Ace' Cassette/mech combinations that do not fit the standard and I have a feeling that there are some 'unique' XTR one too.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
The spacing is the same (if by the same manufacturer) it's the mech's that differ, specifically the cable 'pull ratio' of the shifters to the derailleur.
your incorrect - even though the spacing is the same - an mtb cassette is dished differently which is why it needs a spacer behind it

i know cause i have the same system on my roadbike, built with sram - lever and cable pull is exactly the same between sram road and MTB, but with this system you dont need to change mechs to an MTB type, you can use a standard road mech

Last edited:
Top Bottom