44 mile round trip daily commute - possible?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gabefleming

I currently cycle 10 miles each way every day. I'm looking at a new job that is 22 miles away, but I really don't want to stop cycling. Is a 44-mile round trip realistic, or mental? I'm 32, reasonably fit, and don't want to do myself any lasting damage!

Give it a go I can't see it being a problem if you've got time. The most I've ever commuted is 17.5miles one way (with the occasional detour to make it +50 ;-) ) I'd take the train in the morning and cycle home. IIRC there are others on here that commute around the same distance you're suggesting.

Debian

The thought would terrify me but you're young (er than me) and fit so if you enjoy your cycling it shouldn't be a problem. It's not the one-off distance - I'd happily do it as a one off, or twice a week but I'd think twice about doing it five days a week, week in week out. Realistically 1 1/2 hours each way, maybe more - do you have that time available?

What's the potential commute like? Flat? Alpine? :angry: Rural or metro? For me that would make a big difference. 22 miles across the Somerset levels is maybe a lot different to 22 miles in the lake district.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I used to do 8 miles each way, and then moved somewhere that would mean a 32 mile each way trip.

My solution is to ride to the train (2.5 miles) get the train to a station that's about 11.5 miles from work, and ride in from there. I'm lucky in that the train services I can use are sensible about cycle carriage, and pretty frequent and punctual.

In icy weather, or when I have to work late, I take the train all the way & use the Brompton for the little rides at either end.

for the last fortnight I was doing 25 miles each way three or four days each week over rolling countryside. To be honest it was a bit of a jump from the 10 mile round trip I was used to and scared the beejezus out of me to start with but I stuck with it and it turned out that the idea was scarier than the practice.
If you can get the train one way perhaps, at least to start with until your legs get used to it.

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
my round trip is 76Km or 23.5 miles each way - The route is really nice- quiet contry roads mostly - I don't cycle if icy or winds above 30mph - good to have a car in case of these circumstances. Give it a go!

gabefleming said:
Is a 44-mile round trip realistic, or mental? I'm 32, reasonably fit, and don't want to do myself any lasting damage!

Definitely realistic in that you'd soon get used to the distance - it's more of a question as to whether you'll be happy to allocate the time needed.

RedBike

Yes, i'm doing it!

The only trouble is it takes up too much time.
And Monday mornings when your legs ache after a hard ride Sunday i would dearly love the option of a car.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Yep and plenty do, see

here

maybe you should consider PMing the likes of U9ge, Hobbes-choice, bentmikey, gaz, gavster, me, Silver brow, tynan and tons of others...loads on that thread could offer their own personal insight.

good luck.

Jonny

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Yeah, I do nearly 22 miles each way. It's very do-able. What makes it easier for me is that I work Tues/Weds/Thurs evenings and then the whole weekend, so my week is split with Monday and Friday as rest days. That helps a lot with recovery and managing a full week. What makes it harder is that I work a physical job that itself puts a big load on my body.

The main points that work for me are the following:
Well equipped toolkit
Careful attention to eating and drinking. I drink some recovery drink after each ride, on the way in and again after getting home.
Careful attention to not taking part in commuter racing. If I do a bit of racing, I'm likely to be paying for it for a whole week, and may end up taking public transport to get enough recovery.
Lots of sleep. I'm lucky in that I get to have an afternoon nap during the week, and I make a big effort to go to bed early.

It's not that impressive, really. There are lots of people who commute considerably more than I do.

GAVSTER

I do between 35 miles and 40 miles round-trip depending on route three times a week. Sometimes I've done days where i've gone long way in and long way back and clocked up 50 plus.

I have done five days but was knackered by Friday. Three suits me fine and still makes a difference in terms of train costs.

I also get a lift the two days i don't cycle.

I would give it a go and see how it feels.

StuartG

slower but further
On a nice day 22 miles is more than twice as enjoyable as 10 miles. On a wet windy day it is 10 times worse. And 220 miles/week may mean you lose the joy of leisured weekend riding.

So if you can juggle the commute with an alternative for bad days or when you are just too bushed - you could end up having a greater time than now and not fearing next winter.

Check out alternatives - especially if you have secure parking at work so you can leave it overnight. Also there is the chance that someone at work commutes part of the route so could give you a lift part way ... just go for it!

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
i do 41 miles round trip on a brommie. early days tho and i'm ok so far. i'm fat and reasonably unfit. not for long tho. i have the luxury of fantastic showering and changing fascilities as well. having the showers makes it bearable, without the showers it would be miserable.

Crankarm

Guru
Yeah, that's easily do-able. As BM says watch your diet and drinks to keep hydrated. I used to ride 18 miles each way to my last job, even then, I took to making detours to lengthen it to 30+ miles coming home on a nice summer's evening. After a while I didn't think anything of the distance as it was a joy. The snide comments from lard ar5ed colleagues at work still pi55ed me off though. Indeed it would be truly miserable without showers or changing facilities at work.

The other thing to bear in mind is the wear and tear on your bike. Doing that kind of mileage you will definitely have to clean and lube it every fortnight or once a week, may be more frequently if the weather is sh1t. Brake blocks will seem to wear out in no time. Carry a few spare tubes at all times to so you don't get caught out by the side of the road.

Do some stretching as well after you get in from work.

Good luck.

No problem mate
I do 34 each way, another 5 on top would be no problem, and thats every day, every week, so 170 a week, but you would need to take care of nutrition as others have said,

Top Bottom